• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ellington at Newport 1956

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Ellington at Newport 1956 Reply with quote

I was listening to our local jazz station (KRTU) the other night, when I heard a song that just filled me with happiness. Checking their archives, I found it was "Diminuendo In Blue and Crescendo In Blue" by Duke Ellington's band off a Newport 1956 festival. WOW! I can't stop playing that album now that I've downloaded it (iTunes has it). Everyone, trumpets included, are absolutely terrific. You can't listen to that one track without getting happy. It's amazing. The only other DE album I had was Blues In Orbit. What have I been missing???

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
TrumpetAce
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I heard "Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue" for the first time, I was about 13. It was the turning point in my life. I knew then that I wanted to be a jazz musician. Like you, I was also filled with that indesribeable feeling of joy and awaken-ness ( is that even a real word?)
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ellington at Newport 1956 Reply with quote

bilboinsa wrote:
I was listening to our local jazz station (KRTU) the other night, when I heard a song that just filled me with happiness. Checking their archives, I found it was "Diminuendo In Blue and Crescendo In Blue" by Duke Ellington's band off a Newport 1956 festival. WOW! I can't stop playing that album now that I've downloaded it (iTunes has it). Everyone, trumpets included, are absolutely terrific. You can't listen to that one track without getting happy. It's amazing. The only other DE album I had was Blues In Orbit. What have I been missing???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QXUYpPa87M

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
FDC05
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOTS of stories associated with that concert, and specifically that tune. My favorite is (don't jump on me if it's not true... just the story I heard):

Paul Gonsalves (sax solo) showed up to the gig drunk. Duke was pissed, so he left him out on the stand for, what is now, the amazing 27 choruses. Anyone ever heard that?

Also... pretty commonly known that the sax solo started a HUGE frenzy in the crowd! People dances and just going crazy, causing a riot. Try doing that today with a jazz solo!!!! Those were the days
tastoll
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Backstory in Blue: Ellington at Newport" by John Fass Morton..a great new book on that evening by Rutgers Press...really an amazing story in regard to all the participants involved....

http://www.amazon.com/Backstory-Blue-Ellington-Newport-56/dp/0813542820/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267278741&sr=1-1
FDC05
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely going to pick that up! Thanks Todd!
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Gonsalves a wonderfully interesting player? That solo is wild. And Cat Anderson's solo at the end...phew.

Clark Terry sounds great on "Newport Up" on that recording, too.

I remember backing up Clark on a gig in 1993 (?) or so, and we had a transcription of that tune (Diminuendo/Crescendo as one arrangement) that we opened up for Clark to blow on. He said he hadn't played that tune in 40 years, and still remembered his part (and played along with the ensemble).
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FDC05 wrote:
LOTS of stories associated with that concert, and specifically that tune. My favorite is (don't jump on me if it's not true... just the story I heard):

Paul Gonsalves (sax solo) showed up to the gig drunk. Duke was pissed, so he left him out on the stand for, what is now, the amazing 27 choruses. Anyone ever heard that?

Also... pretty commonly known that the sax solo started a HUGE frenzy in the crowd! People dances and just going crazy, causing a riot. Try doing that today with a jazz solo!!!! Those were the days

I'm unsure about Paul Gonsalves being drunk. However, the frenzy in the crowd was not due to Gonsalves's solo (which is amazing) but because a beautiful woman stood up and started dancing where everyone could see her.
Lars Nilsson

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Diminuendo in blue Reply with quote

Hi!
Does anybody knows where to find or have Diminuendo in blue transcript för Newport 1956. It´s with four trombones and the solos?
Best Lars Nilsson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: