• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn 16A Cornet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Conn 16A Cornet? Reply with quote

I presume that's what it is. Bought it on ebay for $51 +$17 shipping. Anyone own one? Seems like it should play similar to the 36A
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 16A is a post-Elkhart student horn. I tried one many years ago, did not buy it so obviously it did not impress me, I don't remember. But I own a 36A, not impressed by that one either so who knows?
adc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
The 16A is a post-Elkhart student horn. I tried one many years ago, did not buy it so obviously it did not impress me, I don't remember. But I own a 36A, not impressed by that one either so who knows?

Well then if the 36A and 16A did not impress you. Maybe the 16A will impress me since I like the 36A

I do have to say though that I had a 1954 ? Conn Director that was terrible..but I played it for 10 years bc I didn't know any better. Don't know what # it was but the leadpipe entered the 1st valve.

I generally like older Conns as I have a 1906 ConnQueror and a 1910 and 1911 Conn Perfected Wonder and a 50's 80A. Don't care for the 80A
joevandal64

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Conn 16A cornet Reply with quote

I have one of these purchased from a pawn shop and Mike Del Quadro did some repairs. A decent little horn for activities where one does not want to take an expensive horn. A Strad it isn't, but it gets the job done.
adc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it its actually a 1971 19A (I believe) the Case says Elkhart but the Cornet says Japan. I believe they transitioned from the U.S. to Japan. Cool Horn. I like it.
I sent another $60 to the seller. The case is worth $50+ I felt bad for the seller.
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those "YamaConns". From what I have researched, they were a Schilke design, and presumably made by Yamaha in Japan. Top sprung valves, nice little cornet. Bought it a few years ago for under 90 bucks including shipping. It was absolutely pristine, cleaned it up inside and it is like new. Plays very good...maybe not as "cornet like" a sound as some would prefer, but it is not a Besson Sovereign either! The sound is quite acceptable with a Wick 4 mouthpiece.

I ride my motorcycle to band rehearsal some 35 miles away (weather permitting!), and it is easy to strap to the bike!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: