• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

MPC Buzzing Pitch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: MPC Buzzing Pitch Reply with quote

I saw an old Bobby Shew master class video a few months back. I think one of the things I found interesting was him saying players might be benefit from just taking the MPC, sitting under a shade trade and experiment, kind of a way of "connecting the dots". With that in mind, I was playing around with just the MPC which I haven't done for a while, and was comfortable making runs from as low as I could go, maxing out to a pitch of B-Flat (above staff) which I verified by playing it on the horn. B-Flat is pretty much my breaking point on the horn at which I struggle to go higher.

My apologies if this a dumb question or obvious observation - Am I correct in drawing the conclusion that if you can't buzz (or have great difficulty) a high note on the MPC, you can't do it on the horn? If that's the case, would it be beneficial making MPC buzzing a part of range development by eliminating the tendency to add lip pressure from pulling back the horn?

Also, speaking of the Shew Video - At the end of the presentation he was getting ready to talk about Mouth Pieces when the two hour video tape suddenly stopped. Any body know the MPC ending to that Class or another?

50 year layoff
Giardenelli 812S (a/k/a Amati ATR-604HS)
CarolBrass CPT-1000 Mini Trumpet
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: MPC Buzzing Pitch Reply with quote

50YrComeback wrote:
... Am I correct in drawing the conclusion that if you can't buzz (or have great difficulty) a high note on the MPC, you can't do it on the horn? ...

-------------------------------
Probably yes, if you can't buzz the pitch on a mpc, then likely you can't reach it on the complete trumpet.
BUT it doesn't necessarily follow that high pitch mpc buzzing assures that you'll be able on the trumpet.
Some people claim great success and playing improvement from mpc (or mpc and leadpipe) buzzing, but others say that doing similar practice on trumpet is as good, or better.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can play an octave higher than I buzz. A fifth on a bad day.

In terms of what Bobby Shew says about connecting the dots.. yeah.. it's another tool you can use to help find things out. I advise you do this quietly, without adverse pressure and rest!

I typically find my lower register on the mouthpiece is more revealing about my upper.

All this said - some people don't get on with buzzing at all. That's ok too.

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
I can play an octave higher than I buzz. A fifth on a bad day.

Mike

Interesting - As I said, my high pitch on the buzz is identical to my horn. Do you think the resistance of the horn helps you go higher? Or is it just best not to try to figure it out and just do it.

50 year layoff
Giardenelli 812S (a/k/a Amati ATR-604HS)
CarolBrass CPT-1000 Mini Trumpet
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been able to buzz high yet, in my optimum playing days, I could play a useable E above High C and a Double High C playability.

It's true that, if you can buzz a High C on the mouthpiece, you can play one but that doesn't mean the reverse is true. i.e. that if you can play a High C, you can buzz one.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to know the physical aspects that prevent/allow/enable some pitches to be produced in one situation, but not in the other.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: