• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Smaller Mouthpiece Top On A Larger Backbore????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Smaller Mouthpiece Top On A Larger Backbore???? Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience putting say a 28 throat top on a 27 drill or larger backbore? The setup would be for a lead mouthpiece played on a 8310Z Shew trumpet.

Just wondering if there are any negative experiences as it hasn’t seemed to be problematic so far.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going that way usually has zero issues. The other way, 26 top on 27 backbone introduces a ledge that can make a hissing sound with certain players. It only happens with some players like one in 100.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
Going that way usually has zero issues. The other way, 26 top on 27 backbone introduces a ledge that can make a hissing sound with certain players. It only happens with some players like one in 100.

Thank you!!!!!
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Smaller Mouthpiece Top On A Larger Backbore???? Reply with quote

Hey Jeff!!!

Steve Patrick told me he's been doing that for years and...yes...I actually like the feel of 28 to 27.

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
underdog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: tighter drill to more open Reply with quote

I'll chime in with one extra personal opinion based on my results. Classical bowl cups seem to be better in a one piece. Commercial models with a bowl shaped cup seem to be better in a one piece. Commercial V cupped models with an open entrance to the throat (vintage jet-tones) seem to do better in a one piece.
commercial V cupped mouthpieces with a tighter entrance to the throat seem to be better in a TWO PIECE and with a tighter top drill than bottom drill.
This is not a hard fast rule and everyone is different, but that's been my experience and several other notable lead/commercial players that I'm friends with or know of.
https://www.instagram.com/lessonswithstudiomusicians/
http://nashvillestudioorchestra.com/site-administrator/
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: tighter drill to more open Reply with quote

underdog wrote:
I'll chime in with one extra personal opinion based on my results. Classical bowl cups seem to be better in a one piece. Commercial models with a bowl shaped cup seem to be better in a one piece. Commercial V cupped models with an open entrance to the throat (vintage jet-tones) seem to do better in a one piece.
commercial V cupped mouthpieces with a tighter entrance to the throat seem to be better in a TWO PIECE and with a tighter top drill than bottom drill.
This is not a hard fast rule and everyone is different, but that's been my experience and several other notable lead/commercial players that I'm friends with or know of.

Interesting. I have found my lead top, a Pickett Brass Paul Baron with a 28 throat, pairs best with a Kanstul copy of a Reeves Zinger backbore with a 27 throat. It also pairs well with a few other backbores, all which have 27 throats.
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns
JLandressBrassCustServ.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:

We agree with this statement above and the statements from Steve Patrick!

Yea guys!

J. Landress Brass, LLC.
153 West 36th Street 3rd Floor
NY, NY 10018
Shop: 646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: tighter drill to more open Reply with quote

underdog wrote:

THIS!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: