• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

1st ever ITG conference

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> ITG Conferences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: 1st ever ITG conference Reply with quote

So I have never attended any trumpet/music conference in my 58 years. I have briefly read through the agenda for the 2019 ITG conference. Is this a worthwhile thing for a non-professional/comeback player to attend? Can someone enlighten me on the workings of this conference? Looks like the first thing for comeback players is late Wednesday night - 15 mins? Plenty of horns to try out? Should I attend the entire event - Tue - Sat? How do the fanfare's work? everyone playing?

Bach Strad Artisan Bb
Bach Strad 180S/37 Bb
Bach Strad 238 C
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been to an ITG conference since 1988, but if you have the time and the means to go, do it! It is a blast (literally, if you include the cacophony around the horn dealer's tables). It is a trumpet geek's delight, whether you're a pro or an amateur. Marvelous concerts, both jazz and classical; workshops and presentations from pro players, hanging out and talking shop with all kinds of trumpeters, and the opportunity to try and/or buy all kinds of new horns and mouthpieces and accessories. What's not to like?
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
JMWTpt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: 1st ever ITG conference Reply with quote

Suggest you attend as many days as you can. I used Tuesday as a travel and registration day, arriving for late day events. Attend the morning warm-up sessions; they are very instructive. I didn't find it very useful to test horns because the noise level in the vendors' hall was too great, but it gave me ideas on what to pursue locally. The manufacturers were very helpful on questions. Everyone is cordial. Afterhours, the jazz sessions are fantastic. It is really worth the trip. If you can, I suggest staying through Saturday.

John
jcdob
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
You should definitely try to attend as much as you can. While we have dedicate events for non-pro and comeback players, all sessions are informative and welcome everyone no matter what level a person is at.

The opening fanfare is a fun time for everyone to play together. There is a short rehearsal and the performance is a fun run. It is a mix of attendees and artists with anywhere from 300 - 500 players....definitely loud. Last couple 3 years Doc was in charge. This year Jens Lindemann will be conducting but Doc might still make an appearance.

The non-pro & comeback reception this year is sponsored by Stomvi and Thompson Music. There will be food, cash bar, and it will be fun for all who attend.

We have amazing vendors present from all around the world. A dream for any trumpet player. You will make great connections and more importantly great friends. All the vendors I have met at ITG have become very good and close friends of mine and I look forward to seeing them every year.

JC
Trompette111

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the ITG conference ever happen in Europe?
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attend as much as you can. The opening Fanfare is often open to anyone, just show up to the rehearsal and have fun.

Don't be shy, Go to things - Warm Up sessions - are basically a free lesson and you might sit next to a star! Last year I sat next to and chat with Jens Lindemann, a lesson in itself.

Go to the recitals, and concerts.. sit close, But also don't be afraid to stay for a few minutes then go to a different room if the event is not for you.

Stop at every vendors table, more than once, that's why they are present. Just remember that some are "used car salesman" and most are good folks with gear to offer.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to take your mouthpiece(s) and try as many horns as possible at the exhibits. With the many brands represented in one place, it gives you the opportunity to train your ear and blow as you experience play testing them. And even though you may not be in the market to buy now, it is an excellent opportunity to narrow down your search for a possible future purchase. You never know if money might start appearing in your bank account from investments, or an inheritance, and you'll already know exactly what you'll want to order!
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be in Miami this year with a booth. Drop by and say "hi." Harry Kim should also be hanging around with me.

You will have an opportunity to play brands of trumpets you can't find in your local music stores. I usually carry around my Claude Gordon Selmer and CG Personal mouthpiece and compare it to other trumpets so I know more what I think about what I'm trying.

This year they are doing an app that should make locating things easier. Look for that if you have a smart phone.

The hotel is a great deal and would be the ideal place to stay. I personally canceled another hotel to stay on site. The parking is expensive so you might look into that if you are bringing a car like I am. Using Uber from the airport might be cheaper.

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has become much more comeback player friendly in recent years. They even have a Pro/Am ensemble you can join. One year it was directed my trumpet professor. It is very fun. All the exhibits are really setup so amateurs will spend their money! I think it will be an unforgettable experience.
scarface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
I haven't been to an ITG conference since 1988, but if you have the time and the means to go, do it! It is a blast (literally, if you include the cacophony around the horn dealer's tables). It is a trumpet geek's delight, whether you're a pro or an amateur. Marvelous concerts, both jazz and classical; workshops and presentations from pro players, hanging out and talking shop with all kinds of trumpeters, and the opportunity to try and/or buy all kinds of new horns and mouthpieces and accessories. What's not to like?

‘88 and ‘91 for me. Favorite memory was a recital by David Bilger, probably in ‘88. Got to hear him warming up a bit beforehand too. Amazing performance.

Op: Go, have fun, get inspired, and do a trip report so some us can be jealous.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trompette111 wrote:
Does the ITG conference ever happen in Europe?

Not for a number of years now

My first was in 2002, when it was held in Manchester. At the time there seemed to be a pattern of a couple of US-based conferences followed by one that was further afield.
After going to Manchester I caught "the bug" for the conferences and alongside the US ones I also attended ones in Thailand, Canada and Australia, managing 10 in a row before the costs just got too high for me to justify attending.

It now looks like the conferences are going to stay in the US for the foreseeable future - combination of financial security and the ability to find a willing host anywhere else.

If you get the chance to attend - you should, they are amazing places and I met a huge number of people that I would never have met without the ITG. Some of these are now great friends (who happen to be incredible trumpeters).

For anyone attending - don't forget to include "the hang" in your attendance plans. The concerts will be amazing, the exhibits will feature more toys than you (or your wallet!) can possibly cope with but the social side is where you will have the most fun. The laughs I have had in the bars at ITG conferences have stayed with me much more than most of the concerts.

Sad not to be attending again, but the finances just don't work out any more.
Rickrobr63

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: 1 Reply with quote

1sjdn;kjn;vjnre;vnrref
Bach 229/25H
Yamaha 631
Schilke E3L
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> ITG Conferences All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: