• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

WindSorb?????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohnecael

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject: WindSorb????? Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M821FZP/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1

"WindSorb has a built-in high performance absorber that continuously absorbs spit and water leaking from the waterkey while you are playing your trumpet."

If you have a leaky waterkey i think you have bigger fish to fry other than spit leaking out of your horn...Also why do people buy these things? Especially something that looks as ridiculous as this.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: WindSorb????? Reply with quote

ohnecael wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M821FZP/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1

"WindSorb has a built-in high performance absorber that continuously absorbs spit and water leaking from the waterkey while you are playing your trumpet."

If you have a leaky waterkey i think you have bigger fish to fry other than spit leaking out of your horn...Also why do people buy these things? Especially something that looks as ridiculous as this.

That's the funniest things i've ever seen !!!

thanks for sharing, i needed a laugh !!

tom
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There's a sucker born every minute"........(attributed to P.T. Barnum)
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This goofy thing has been discussed here before, just shows that trumpet players are sometimes suckers for gadgets.

Now excuse me, I need to go order another Warm-A-Horn and a few Grime Gutters.🙄

Brad
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine works great! In addition to dealing with leaking water/spit, my horn slots so much better now.

More seriously, if I don't want to empty my water key on the floor, I just use a small towel.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just carry one of these, fits right in the Torpedo mute bag. Now if I could just figure out how to attach it to my horn, THAT should improve slotting!😉

LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the reviews are good.

Quote:
Would recommend to someone who needs a can for water in home or for traveling with their instrument to performances. Even good for in airplane. No more spitting your things on the floor.

I might buy one since I was looking for something to use to compensate for the missing cork, especially while practicing on commercial flights. Not!

Seriously, it appears to be intended for leaking water keys. One would have to remove it to empty.

Why not just take the horn to a tech and have them fix the problem?
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

Or maybe put on a new cork yourself with a dab of contact cement?

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

Or maybe put on a new cork yourself with a dab of contact cement?

Mike

Good point. But if the lever has been bent a new cork might not seal any better.

One thought about where this might be useful is when storing the horn. But the ad seems to stress it’s value out of the case. i.e. “Selectable capacity (3 and 5 hrs on average) of absorber according to playing time.”

I love new products and ideas for trumpets, I just cannot see where this product would help me.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

I love new products and ideas for trumpets, I just cannot see where this product would help me.

I would say of course not; this seems like a completely stupid idea conceived by someone who probably played trumpet in grade school, and whose mom was disgusted by the fact that brass instruments need waterkeys.

Brad
thecoast
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:03 am    Post subject: Why not? Reply with quote

I tried this thing and it does what it claims to do cleanly and conveniently. However, I’m more concerned about how freely people feel to be condescending and at the same coming across as blindly prejudicial. How can one say something is dumb (or words to that effect) without trying it within the context it was offered? It’s one thing to say, “I wouldn’t like to be the first to try such and such a gadget. I’ll wait till someone tries it and shares feedback.” It’s another to trash it out of hand.
—Yamaha YTS-354 trombone
—King 627 “baritonium”
—Akai EWI 5000
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Why not? Reply with quote

thecoast wrote:
I tried this thing and it does what it claims to do cleanly and conveniently. However, I’m more concerned about how freely people feel to be condescending and at the same coming across as blindly prejudicial. How can one say something is dumb (or words to that effect) without trying it within the context it was offered? It’s one thing to say, “I wouldn’t like to be the first to try such and such a gadget. I’ll wait till someone tries it and shares feedback.” It’s another to trash it out of hand.

I have no need to have someone else try something out and review it before making up my mind. The pictures the included for the specific point of aiding us in making up our minds are enough for me.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thecoast wrote:

How can I say it seems dumb (“or words to that effect “)? Because it seems dumb. Or words to that effect. I always thought the Chia Pet was dumb, and I didn’t need anyone else to share feedback on that either.

If you have one and like it, cool. But if you have a leaking waterkey, you need to fix it, that can affect how a horn plays, and it’s a relatively cheap and easy fix. Clamping a plastic cup on your horn to catch moisture from a leaking waterkey is not a solution, it’s sort of like putting a bucket on the floor to catch water from a leaking roof. Fix the roof.

Guess I’ll stop my blindly prejudicial trashing out of hand right about....here.

Brad
thecoast
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Brad361
Dude, you're killing me. I'll take my clue from the fact that you keep making the absolutely wrong assumption that the WindSorb gadget (which has an admittedly dumb name) is somehow for leaky water keys. It's not for leaky water keys. It's not for fixing leaky water keys. It's actually for the water that comes out the water key when you open it for--yep--emptying the water.

A super short video is worth more than a few thousand words:
Link

It's one of the small kinds of gestures that have contributed to my 35-year marriage to the same woman.

And since it's obvious that you're that kind of guy, go ahead and have the last word. Peace. Out.
—Yamaha YTS-354 trombone
—King 627 “baritonium”
—Akai EWI 5000
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake, because the ad said “WindSorb has a built-in high performance absorber that continuously absorbs spit and water leaking from the waterkey while you are playing your trumpet.”, I assumed it was for a leaking waterkey.
Because that’s what it says.

I didn’t carefully read the complete ad because I thought (and still think) it’s a stupid idea. But hey, to each his own.

Mea culpa.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: