• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Mouthpiece for a somewhat newbee?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lightcs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Trumpet Mouthpiece for a somewhat newbee? Reply with quote

Hello all,
I used to play trumpet for 8 years during my schooling but 33 years later I am bringing it back out to start playing again. My question is, I only had a Bach 7C when I played all those wonderful 8 years and want to know what should I use now? Keep with the 7C or change to 3C or a different size? What would be the recommendation to start using again? Since I already have the 7C should I just use that for the time being or would it be better to go to a different size, if so, which one? Had I known back in my schooling days to change sizes (my HS teacher was a putz as he never taught us music theory just playing).

Please, any help would be appreciated!
Thank you in advance!
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you weren't having problems using the 7C back in the day, you might as well use it now.

Or you could begin the never-ending (and expensive) quest for the perfect mouthpiece. I'm particularly fond of GR Mouthpieces: https://www.grmouthpieces.com/Default.asp
They ain't cheap.

You might find a teacher and start taking lessons. The teacher might, or might not, have an opinion on how the 7C is working for you. You'll probably get a lot better real quick with a good teacher.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private lessons will help you a LOT, and as mentioned above you can probably address the mouthpiece questions with that person.

If the “ putz” you’re referring to was your band director, I wonder how much music theory you thought he should be teaching? Hey, the guy may in fact might have been incompetent, I have no way of knowing, but music theory classes in high school are just that, separate classes.

Brad
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good place to start is honestly a Bach 7C. Kind of a standard then move from there.

The "standard" next step would be to try a Bach 1.5C, 3C, 5C, and 10.5C as they all go towards a certain direction in shape and depth that will help you hone in on what tendencies work well for you. I would argue the Curry equivalents are almost as good as a base to start with but the default blank on those makes it somewhat less "standard".

There's a post that was recently active about people's "journeys" if you want a small sample of what a person's mouthpiece history is like.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68

Last edited by O00Joe on Fri May 10, 2019 12:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a good policy. Try the 3C if you want to satisfy your curiosity, but it is not important right now. The important thing right now is getting daily practice to develop your fundamentals. You can do that on a 7C or a 3C. Once you establish a correct embouchure and breathing technique, you can obsess about equipment like the rest of us.

I am a middle school band director and have a lot of stuff on my website you might find useful. Steal anything you want: www.JustinDickson.com/Band

Have fun!
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will second the recommendations for thr Bach 7C. I have played clarinet since I was eight years old (I'm 71 now), but recently (four months ago) decided to take up trumpet as well. I have found the 7C to be a good starting mouthpiece with plenty of flexibility.
TNTrumpeter

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll echo everyone else. There's nothing wrong with a 7C, particularly if you used it in the past and don't know any specific reason to change. Get the horn on your face and start playing. Practice will make much more of an impact than any switch in mouthpiece size.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might add an alternative without departing, altogether, with the above recommendations.

The Schilke 11 is basically the same size as a Bach 7C but has a rim configuration that some find more comfortable than a Bach 7C.

I went to a Schilke 11 and immediately felt it was more friendly.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
grune

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never recommend a 7C to anyone. I know this from experience: too narrow, too deep, too sharp. You are far better off choosing a 3E or 3D. I am not alone in this, to wit.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGzGJt03bCQ
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Curt Thompson. Fair and Balanced.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: