• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Unmarked Rotary Trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carney2.0

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Unmarked Rotary Trumpets Reply with quote

Hey, all,
This is my second post on this wondrous website. Please forgive any ignorance i display!
After poking around on the internet, I've seen a ton of unmarked, vintage rotary trumpets, most around $150 - $250. After reading up on Wikipedia and other places about them, I understand their German/Austrian provenance and use in orchestras. What I'm wondering about is the quality of "unmarked" rotary horns. Do these pre-date manufacturing stamps? Do they come out of China or Soviet Russia? Are they from smaller firms that produced horns for larger companies? Will they sound substantially worse than others? Just curious - and really, really wanting to buy a cool rotary trumpet.
1925 Conn Director
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a professional by any means but this is what I know. Quite some of them may be old, some over 100 years, so pitch, intonation, and/or general technical situation maybe an issue. A lot of them may originate from Bohemia or the Markneukirchen/Germany region, which was/is famous for being the home to many reputed instrument makers (not only brass).

In spite of their age, some may be good playing horns and I know at least one colleague who is happy with his Bb tuba from 1915 ...

If you see markings that look like a "n" or similar followed by something that looks like numbers, the origin is most likely the soviet union - not recommended.

There are however makers that I have seen people buy and play such as Bohland & Fuchs, Ernst David Bielefeld, or Glier Markneukirchen. Newer used brands would include Ganter and the like but they will be more expensive.

I really don't know anything solid about Austrian horns.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
luckej

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note about German/Austrian instruments: A music historian tells me that Germany standardized on A440 around 1885, so that's probably part of the reason antique horns from that area are still playable today. I couldn't find this information on the internet, hope this helps!

I'm probably bringing this post back from the dead, but there doesn't seem to be much out there on German horns, so I'm curious about what you may have found in the last year. =)
Markneukirchen Fürst Pless
…& lotsa old Conn cornets =)
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckej wrote:
A note about German/Austrian instruments: A music historian tells me that Germany standardized on A440 around 1885, so that's probably part of the reason antique horns from that area are still playable today. I couldn't find this information on the internet, hope this helps!

I'm probably bringing this post back from the dead, but there doesn't seem to be much out there on German horns, so I'm curious about what you may have found in the last year. =)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A440_(pitch_standard)
Here you go. A Wikipedia article on pitch standard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: