• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

1921 Holton-Clarke cornet: unusual finger buttons

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetp1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interfx wrote:
https://www.holtonloyalist.com/

HoltonLoyalist.com is still up and running! Although the email is overrun with spam, so I usually just check here on TH when people have questions.

The finger button examples you shared were not from the factory - I've seen an example a few years ago on a stencil (student level) horn. I would guess they were added to teach a student to not let their fingers overlap the valve caps.

Hope that helps, send me a PM here on TH, if you have specific question....

Well, it's good to know that HL.com is still up and running. However, I'll not expect any reply to my email, in any case.

I wasn't completely sold on the notion that these were factory, but the solder work is quite good and the silver of the finger "guards" and the mother-of-pearl inlays appear to be of a similar age as the horn...at least, to my eyes.

Regardless the origin, I guess these finger buttons are as eccentric as myself. Woot.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure that visual or any other examination of the valve caps can prove factory or after market. There are many techs that do fine work and some are former factory workers. And the age won’t indicate much either because they probably had good techs back when the valve caps were made.

On the other hand if the caps were high build quality and the guards low you would have your answer.
trumpetp1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I am not sure that visual or any other examination of the valve caps can prove factory or after market. There are many techs that do fine work and some are former factory workers. And the age won’t indicate much either because they probably had good techs back when the valve caps were made.

On the other hand if the caps were high build quality and the guards low you would have your answer.

Absolutely agree. As I said in my first post in this thread, I'm not sure I'm taken with them. Still, they look nice...and, certainly start some conversation. I guess I'll just never know.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to find a number with lots of fast notes and fingerings. Learn it cold and then play it during warmups. Tell your section mates that the special caps are the reason your fingering is so excellent.
trumpetp1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
You need to find a number with lots of fast notes and fingerings. Learn it cold and then play it during warmups. Tell your section mates that the special caps are the reason your fingering is so excellent.

Ha! That would be almost priceless. Very tempting.
J. Landress Brass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a decade ago I did something quite similar for that for a player who had 2 missing tops of their fingers from an accident, It allowed him to wedge the nubs into the buttons and push the valves down without them slipping off the buttons. I would assume this was done for a similar reason.
646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
trumpetp1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J. Landress Brass wrote:
About a decade ago I did something quite similar for that for a player who had 2 missing tops of their fingers from an accident, It allowed him to wedge the nubs into the buttons and push the valves down without them slipping off the buttons. I would assume this was done for a similar reason.

Interesting. I went to university in the early 2000's with a fellow who had a similar problem, but not this sort of finger button solution.

Thank you for your input!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: