• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Milestones!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDWII

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Milestones! Reply with quote

Well, after nearly 15,000 days off, I have now played (if you can call it that) for THREE days straight! woohoo! What a ratio! lol

I am noticing a lot of leakage, but I assume that will go away over time. I am spending all my time in that first octave.

I also notice that the fingers, when on slow motion, remember the fingerings. However the muscle memory for more rapid movement seems to be powered by molasses. This, in time, too.

Looking forward to the day I can call myself a trumpet player again!
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back!
This would be a great time to get a few lessons in with a reputable teacher. Just to reinforce good habits and to avoid bad ones. IMO this will help you avoid pitfalls and frustrations.
IMO important especially when restarting is not WHAT you play, but HOW you play.

And keep up the DAILY sessions! Short and sweet on a daily basis is WAY better than large chunks infrequently.

Cheers
Retired Air Force Bandsman
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save yourself from the taking the long way home, find a teacher(s) even if it's only for an objective opinion and direction, by all means!

IMO, Bai Lin Lip Flexibilities #1, 2, and 3 are great for getting your sound focused. I use a metronome set at 80 bpm, fermata the last note (just right for long tones) and sing the exercise that I just played between positions, thereby getting the appropriate rest period and good ear training as well as a basic warm-up every day. Looks simple, but can be challenging to play with a great sound. Can work wonders if used consistently! The digital format for iPad includes recordings of Jim Wilt, a TH member, playing many exercises:
http://www.balquhiddermusic.com/brass-studies/2ymttrxkb3pda3f4u1uqqsr3xd7vy8

I am a comebacker as well!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
RDWII

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbtj51 wrote:
Save yourself from the taking the long way home, find a teacher(s) even if it's only for an objective opinion and direction, by all means!

IMO, Bai Lin Lip Flexibilities #1, 2, and 3 are great for getting your sound focused. I use a metronome set at 80 bpm, fermata the last note (just right for long tones) and sing the exercise that I just played between positions, thereby getting the appropriate rest period and good ear training as well as a basic warm-up every day. Looks simple, but can be challenging to play with a great sound. Can work wonders if used consistently! The digital format for iPad includes recordings of Jim Wilt, a TH member, playing many exercises:
http://www.balquhiddermusic.com/brass-studies/2ymttrxkb3pda3f4u1uqqsr3xd7vy8

I am a comebacker as well!

Mike

Lessons would be fun, but in lil Kamiah (cam ee eye) idaho we are lacking in that area. I will look up those studies. Heres a wayback photo When I traveled with a drum and bugle corps
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Milestones! Reply with quote

RDWII wrote:
Well, after nearly 15,000 days off

I'm about 6 weeks in myself... you made me break out the calculator... I was somewhere around 14,600 days!! Haha! I don't have a hat that's anywhere NEAR as cool as the one in your photo though!!

My only advice at this point is Don't Rush It!! I started feeling good and got ahead of myself and it set me back!

I hope you're having as much fun as I am!!

P.S. I can totally relate to the 'MMM'...(Molasses Muscle Memory)!!!
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in 10 weeks. Initially, I was amazed that I could actually play a little. With all of the internet resources and an old Arban book, who needs lessons? Of course, I was moving my lips all over the MPC to move up and down the scale. I convinced myself this must be the "Balanced Embouchure" I have read about on the internet and high C is just around the corner. These sour, airy notes would quickly be dialed in pitch perfect with just more playing. My occasional good tone was a good sign of things to come. Of course, I was getting this tone by playing the volume of a freight train horn and using enough air to blow out birthday candles 10 feet away. I'll just need to stick pencil in my mouth and the chops will be back to the old days.

After 4 weeks of slobbering around the MPC, I gave in to the reality I that I needed to have some instruction.

So, that's the advice. I know there is SKYPE but frankly, I think at least the first couple of lessons need to be in person. Even if you have to drive 100 miles for 2-3 lessons, it would be worth it. Call the high school band directors, etc., get some names. Get somebody that's a real trumpet player/teacher that teaches both beginner and intermediate students.

You can make some progress on your own, but sustainable progression needs to be rooted on good fundamentals. We forget how we learned. I'll bet there is not one Comeback Player out there that regrets having lessons and all would wish they hadn't waited as long as they did.

That's my 2 cents.

50 year layoff
Giardenelli 812S (a/k/a Amati ATR-604HS)
CarolBrass CPT-1000 Mini Trumpet
JBeeBop

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: I am just coming back too! Reply with quote

I played through HS and college, then while in engineering school, I played professionally to fund my education. I laid off for many years to raise five kids, but now I am back. I purchased a new horn so I could send mine back to the shop for a refresh. Then my friend died and his wife gave me his horn. I have to figure out how to get two of these out of my hands to give someone else a chance. In the mean time I cannot decide which one to keep. I am all ears. Of the three horns listed, I have had the Conn 60 B for nearly 50 yrs. The Yamaha is a clone of the Schilke 5B. It is in perfect condition. The Olds has a little finish problems but fantastic mechanics. Looking to connect with others just coming back and would like some guidance on using the forum to sell two out of three of these horns.
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDWII wrote:

Heres a wayback photo When I traveled with a drum and bugle corps

Casper Troopers?

One of my favorite corps...been a fan since the late '60's
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: I am just coming back too! Reply with quote

JBeeBop wrote:
I played through HS and college, then while in engineering school, I played professionally to fund my education. I laid off for many years to raise five kids, but now I am back. I purchased a new horn so I could send mine back to the shop for a refresh. Then my friend died and his wife gave me his horn. I have to figure out how to get two of these out of my hands to give someone else a chance. In the mean time I cannot decide which one to keep. I am all ears. Of the three horns listed, I have had the Conn 60 B for nearly 50 yrs. The Yamaha is a clone of the Schilke 5B. It is in perfect condition. The Olds has a little finish problems but fantastic mechanics. Looking to connect with others just coming back and would like some guidance on using the forum to sell two out of three of these horns.
Welcome back! The fine begins and I hope it continues for you. You might consider giving your late friend's horn to someone who can't afford one.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I thought this was a thread on a Miles' tune.

Ref. lessons, you can do it over Skype. Check out John Mohan on this board. There are others, if you prefer. There is a thread regarding Skype teachers.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the previous poster pointed out, dont discount lessons via skype. I took lessons lessons for about 3 years from John Mohan via skype. I would recommend him to anyone. You can PM him here on TH.

Keep at it and good luck!
Tberar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn’t played for 6 months due to Marine Boot Camp. Now I’m stronger than ever. Except tonguing, that is taking a while
scarface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed a pretty big milestone last May, which was practicing almost daily for a year, with the exception of two weeks and necessary rest days. Feels good to find reasons to continue.

I feel like I should be further along, but really the first year was all about finding and relieving years of tension buildup in my jaws. I can play above the staff, but I have to take it a half step a week or two, to allow time for the notes to happen easily, and for the jaw muscles to get used to the new demand- a tip I picked up from an interview with Jennifer Montone.

I’m in Getchell Book 1, and enjoying being a beginner again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: