• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need info about this horn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccb_22

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Need info about this horn Reply with quote

Someone is making a donation to my school band program. I'd like to know more about the instrument so I can make the best decision about what to do with it. I can't seem to find or read the model or serial#.

It's a Holton Galaxy in silver plate. The bell is what I would call a "projection" bell, in that it points up at about a 45 degree angle. This is different from what I would describe as a "banana" bell. Banana goes straight, and then bends up after the brace that connects to the 2nd valve. The bell on this particular horn, begins its ascent directly from the "u" bend. This means it has a long and somewhat angled brace connecting to the mouthpiece receiver and an even longer and almost vertical brace that connects to the 2nd valve.

There is no ring or trigger on the 1st valve slide. 3rd valve slide has an adjustable ring like you would see on a beginner instrument.

Engraving on the 2nd valve is illegible.

Has a Holton logo on the vertical tuning slide brace.

Bell engraving is very faint as well. "Galaxy" is written vertically, "HOLTON ELKHORN WIS USA" is written horizontal underneath.
mbauer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some searching around. Found this info:
Years Built: 1961 – 1965
Front Slide: Tuning Bore: 0.459”
Leadpipe Taper: C
Key(s): B-flat
Rear Slide: None
Bell Material: German Silver Leadpipe Mat’l: Ger. Silver Tuning Brace: Straight
Pitching: LP only
Tuning Lock: Stop rod for 3rd only Bell Type: 2-piece, 4-7/8” Leadpipe Type: Standard
Tuning Slide Radius: Dual
Holton Galaxy Trumpet
Bell Braces: Z
Special Characteristics: All German Silver (Nickel) except valve casings; designed to be low cost
After 1965, Leblanc switched to numbering all Holton models as T-XXX. The next generation Galaxy was the T-401, which was still all nickel, though it could be ordered in brass as T-401N.

I imagine the bent bell was an after market project. All-in-all, not Holton's nicest horn, but seems to be of good build quality and is definitely regarded as a well playing horn.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a school band, it might be useful in a special setting that highlights a specific player for a specific single piece of music. Using it as someone's regular horn would look odd, and might result in 'sound balance' problems.
I think they were primarily made for 'field band' usage, where they'd be used by an entire row of players.

Same opinion about using a 'soprano slide t-bone' as a regular trpt.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: