• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke B1 and Schilke C5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stutrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Schilke B1 and Schilke C5 Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

As a returning previously retired player I'm now having fun playing again. I kept my Schilke B1 and recently got an old but excellent C5.

Currently I use a Schilke 16 for everything except piccolo but with the B1 so free-blowing I'm looking for something to give a broader, darker sound for orchestras. I'm trying a GR67 MB and this has a slightly smaller rim and shallower cup but seems to give a great sound and is very comfortable. I'm now considering getting a GR67 LX and a GR67.4 C 2.8

However, I've seen warnings here that Schilke mouthpieces are designed specifically to match their receivers so there could be 'gap' problems?

For the C5 I find that the sound with the Schilke 16 can be big but a bit 'light/bright' and I'd like it to be more Bach 239 ish. When trying a friend's Warburton 2MC rim on a #11* backbore the larger throat and backbone does give it more depth. I prefer the Schilke/GR rims though.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance and apologies for rambling on.

Stu
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going from a 67 MB to a 67 LX would be a dramatic change. If you like the 67 MB I would think trying a 67 M2 or possibly a 67 MX would still give you a fuller sound than than the 67 MB but it wouldn't be nearly as physically demanding to play as the 67 LX.
Stutrumpet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jerry - good advice. It helps me narrow down the ones to test when I take a trip to the big city.
I've sent an email to Schilke too
lexluther
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with going from GR to Schilke MP's was quite different. I was a 67 size player and when I tried the 16, it felt tiny and restrictive to me. The 17 was a little better, but still very restrictive. I feel most at home on the Schilke 18. I don't think the GR 67 and Schilke 16 size are comparable sizes at all. I think the two MP's you are comparing are nothing even close. The cup width on the 67 will be considerably wider. I hope this helps!
Flugel - Getzen Custom Reserve 4895
Eb/D - Yamaha 6610
Cornet - Bach Strad 184ML
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Schilke 16C4 was designed for Tom Stevens (LAPhil), With a larger backbore it might work for you. Also a larger throat (a 25 or 24) along with a D or Schmidt back-bore on your 16 might work for you. The 17D4 and 17D4d are also possibilities as well as the Symphony Series #2 https://www.schilkemusic.com/products/mouthpieces/custom-series/#symphony-trumpet
You might also look at the Curry 1.25BC or 1.5BC

The C5 is a fairly bright horn and it never really penetrated the American orchestral market. That's why the S series and later the SC-HD series were introduced.

I can tell you that one major orchestra, the Minnesota Orchestra, used custom medium bore C7s in the late '60's. I believe that Manny Lauriano, who followed Schluter into Minnesota played a modified SC22 prior to going to the dark side of the force (Monette).

ED K Schilke tech in the '70's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: