• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holton Heim 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
napoorsocapo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Holton Heim 2 Reply with quote

I bought a Holton Heim 2. Nice mouthpiece, but tiring, very tired the lips.
At the beginning very easy to play, including high notes, but after a little swollen lips.
Does anyone have experience and advice?
Walter Bone

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I tried the holton heim 2 recently because it popped out used at a good price in my area and I was curious.
Coming from a bach 3c it's a very different beast. It is very efficient but you have to approach it differently. I found that you have to find more support from the mouthpiece itself, starting out pretty relaxed and finding the sweet spot where notes come out easily. Then you make slight adjustments to achieve a good sound. Finding the right position is crucial and you must not deviate much from there, and this might feel a bit restrictive.
I was able to achieve a better endurance than on the 3c, but I had tuning issues on my trumpet and I like the more sparkling sound that the 3c gives me, so I decided to drop it.
I am still a beginner anyway, other member with orders of magnitude more experience than me will surely give you a more insightful opinion.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Holton Heim 2 has a small diameter rim but quite a deep cup. That can be very demanding for an underdeveloped embouchure, sometimes resulting in a wrong way of playing. I owned one for some time and at that time it was a bad mouthpiece for me so I sold it.
napoorsocapo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few days, the lips get used to. Very big mouthpiece. Very easy high notes.
For low notes need more time.
The sound of Miles Davis does not come out automatically, but a really good and particular mouthpiece
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

napoorsocapo wrote:

The sound of Miles Davis does not come out automatically, but a really good and particular mouthpiece

That's really disappointing.
napoorsocapo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go further and don't care about me.
seedank

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not too well known but the backbore is pretty small on those too....plus cup not really a high note cup, goes down almost straight right after the rim....are you having any wobble in the shank too?.....most of these are a slightly different taper
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

napoorsocapo wrote:
Go further and don't care about me.

Some problem with the heat and the kitchen?
Walter Bone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedank wrote:
not too well known but the backbore is pretty small on those too....plus cup not really a high note cup, goes down almost straight right after the rim....are you having any wobble in the shank too?.....most of these are a slightly different taper

Yeah the backbore is very narrow, large throat (a 24 I think), very sharp rim, and the shank is a bit longer than the usual and tends to close the gap. The cup is not really designed for extremely high notes, the partials are simply not there since despite the small diameter/cup it is a rather dark sounding mp.
It demands to be played in a particular way and it pays you back with a very high efficiency.
I had no wobble in my Yamaha. The issue I had was that octaves aren't compressed enough by the tight backbore so in order to play it in tune I had to draw the main slide like and inch and a half out...
But I really found out I have a better sound on a 3c so I got back to it.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heim mouthpieces are designed for the old pre-war Holton receiver taper (from a time when they also had no gap). They work well in vintage horns with that taper if you can adapt to the proportions, and help create a more accurate representation of the tonal character of those old instruments. I wouldn't use one for anything modern though - the shank is just not the right shape.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Walter Bone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Heim mouthpieces are designed for the old pre-war Holton receiver taper (from a time when they also had no gap). They work well in vintage horns with that taper if you can adapt to the proportions, and help create a more accurate representation of the tonal character of those old instruments. I wouldn't use one for anything modern though - the shank is just not the right shape.

I think that applies for vintage pieces. My heim 2 is a a modern one (the ones with a not so good reputation), I don't have the means to precisely measure the taper but by the wearing pattern it seems to fit nicely in the receiver. It seats deeper but doesn't completely closes the gap.
If one is interested in heim designs Trent Austin seems to like them. His TA1 is based on a heim, the TA3 seems to be a heim with a bigger rim diameter. He also makes the H2 and the H3S which are based on Miles' mp.
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it’s interesting that everyone thinks Miles played a Heim 2, when the piece he played most of the time was a Gustat no. 2. Just letting you guys know... the Gustat came BEFORE the Heim.
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
CRN: NY Giardinelli 7SV.
FL: Yamaha Bobby Shew
napoorsocapo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Miles play the similar Heim deeper (Heim 1) or less deep (Heim 2)?
napoorsocapo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kanstul Gustat 1 and 2 are very similar. Change the diameter, the depth is the same. The Kanstul Gustat 1 is the most similar to that used by Miles Davis. Both are not very deep: like a 3C
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^I disagree wholeheartedly. The Gustat 2 is quite a bit deeper than a 3C, and the Heim 2 is also slightly deeper than a 3C. Both also have sharper bites, and are smaller in diameter than a modern 3C. Lot’s of misinformation as usual on the herald about these pieces...!
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
CRN: NY Giardinelli 7SV.
FL: Yamaha Bobby Shew
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.kanstul.com/one-piece-trumpet-mouthpiece-g-series/
napoorsocapo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not understand if Miles used the deeper Heim (Heim 1) or less deep (Heim 2)?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, my Legends Heim 1 is deeper than my Holton Heim 2. My understanding is that Miles played a Heim 2.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miles did not use a heim mouthpiece. He studied with joe gust at in high school and gustat made mouthpieces. He was a great famous player and teacher and mouthpiece maker. He did know Heim and they played in an orchestra together.

Miles had two gustats, and those were reproduced by Kanstul called the G1 and G2. The G1 is deeper. They are not the same as the heim or the holton Heim although they are somewhat similar.

It looks to me like the shallower G2 was made out of a G1 by shaving down the top to make it shallower, but that is conjecture based on the fact that the gustats were shorter in total length. The Holton Heim were also pretty long total length.

Enrich Rava sounds awesome on the Heim 2 on his CD that has the song called “sand”. That is a superb CD by the way, and he really uses the Heim right. Easy but not loud upper register, great sound.

The main dif between the G2 and the Holton Heim 2 that the G2 has less room right under the rim. A “higher alpha angle” that many players can’t get to work, but works nice if you can work it. The other disadvantage to the G2 is that the shorter total length and no cylindrical throat section makes for dicey intonation and wide slots that some people can’t deal with.

They both have the flat narrow rim sharp on inner and outer radius.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt

Last edited by lipshurt on Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting: https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1094680

James New, if he checks in from time to time, might be able to shed some light on this, once and for all. My understanding is that Wallace Roney brought one of Miles' mouthpieces in to Kanstul. If James was working there at the time, maybe he knows what was really there. I read a lot of conflicting stories.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: