• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Where u put tuning slide affects blow/resistance?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Where u put tuning slide affects blow/resistance? Reply with quote

I have a Courtois flugelhorn with a 413 bore. I notice some guys put the pipe a little out and other way out. To get a freer blow I have to pull way out. The horn plays in tune in a number of positions. Opinions ?
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Where u put tuning slide affects blow/resistance? Reply with quote

improver wrote:
I have a Courtois flugelhorn with a 413 bore. I notice some guys put the pipe a little out and other way out. To get a freer blow I have to pull way out. The horn plays in tune in a number of positions. Opinions ?

I believe every horn has a spot where the tuning slide slots to the most resonant setting. This may or may not be the same for each player. I try to discover this point and pitch center establishes itself and intonation always adjusts for me. I was very surprised when I discovered this, but it seems the three horns I regularly play operate this way. I’ve also discovered the way you hold the horn and the contact points you use also can have positive effects. I may be wrong on all this but that’s my experience anyway.
Rod
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something else that may affect the way things feel is how tight you turn the little nut that secures the leadpipe/tuning shank.
Wick 2BFL
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your reply. I must tell you I'm 61 and have been playing for a long time and the advise about not tightening the pipe screw is true. I lightened it and it blows more open. I'm trying to figure the logic behind that. It works!
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

improver wrote:
Thank you both for your reply. I must tell you I'm 61 and have been playing for a long time and the advise about not tightening the pipe screw is true. I lightened it and it blows more open. I'm trying to figure the logic behind that. It works!
While not my experience on flugels, there are plenty of trumpets that can be affected by how tight the water key screw is on the main slide...
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

improver wrote:

I’ve also heard but not experienced, that how you tighten the water keys can also effect this. Some apply tape (lead?) to various spots to tighten some harmonics I think I’ve read that Faddis did or does this. These types of maneuvers are for those more knowledgeable than me, but I can see how all these things could effect sound and feel/blow.

I had a mid 60’s LeBlanc (Courtois) flugel and it was a fine player with an easy blow. In the 70’s when gold plating was reasonable I paid 500$ and had it plated at Anderson and got a beautiful horn. Now the horn absolutely vibrated in your hand and was the easiest horns to play with the richest tone I’ve ever played. I had to sell it to keep my car running. Huge loss of a special horn. Anyway the plating was just what that horn needed to b3come all it could be. So yeah the arrangement and fit of parts can definitely have a good or bad effect. Leigh McKinney at Eclipse built 2 of my horns and I specified 3 of my leadpipe be done in nickel silver and these have a definite brighter sound. So guys who really know horns can do things to improve sound. Unfortunately for me, my skills as a player don’t do the horns justice - but we try.
Rod
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod,
I had a similar experience with my raw brass Alexander French horn I had gold plated 10 years ago, it played so much easier with a better tone. 10 microns of silver followed by 5 microns of gold I do not think made the difference, I put it down to the aggressive acids used in the preparation for plating cleaning the insides.

My Eclipse MS loosening the waterkey screw by 1 turn did make a slight change in the response, also with a Bach Mt Vernon large bore.

Regards, Stuart.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Where u put tuning slide affects blow/resistance? Reply with quote

improver wrote:
The horn plays in tune in a number of positions.

Can you explain this? How does it play in tune in more than one position? How does lengthening the tube do anything but make the pitch lower?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know sounds crazy huh! Look at Nacarciacoff on his Courtois flugelhorn. In different videos he is out about 1/3 of and inch on one video, and in a flugelhorn duet with orchestra he is out 3 inches or So. My Courtois 154 can be played in tune a half inch out and also 3 inches or So out. The blow is way more open with the pipe further out. I can't explain it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: