• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flugelhorn stands

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
I've heard mixed things about the new Spyder stands here on TH. Let us know what you think.

I have an old Spyder from the 90's. It's great.

I bought five or six blue Spyder stands back in the '90s. They're all still working great, though I've lost a rubber foot or two. In the past year a friend I play with admired my stands and bought two new ones.

They both jammed in the open position. He snapped the stem off of one, trying to loosen it, and I tried loosening the other but gave up. I suppose he might have tightened them down too much initially, but it's certainly a problem I never ran into in 25 years.
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

I seem to remember that Monette recommended hanging their horns from the bell crook, instead of using an in bell stand to prevent damage like this.

Well how about this then?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/948919-REG/k_m_15700_000_55_157_trumpet_holder_black.html/?smp=Y&ap=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=CjwKEAjwlujnBRDl2teOp_veulQSJAC5bHgt5ip1DJshhf-sFwui2Sh2NC1HyxLP-LiOsXEzXegJoxoCd6vw_wcB
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veery715 wrote:
trpthrld wrote:
veery715 wrote:
The copper bell on my Kanstul 1525 deformed from sitting on a stand. I would choose to put it on any. Brass bells are probably OK.

"deformed"?

How?

Any pics?
No pics now. The bell material was pushed outwards by the center support of the stand. I admit I left it there for a couple of weeks before I noticed. My tech straightened it and some other damage caused by my failure to zip the case closed one day. I certainly hurt it more than any stand could have.

I can't imagine damage being done by just sitting on a stand, regardless of the stand. There must have been some other force applied beyond the weight of the instrument, regardless of the bell material (some bell materials are softer, but not that soft).. i.e dropped, hit or pressed.

I've left instruments out on stands in my study for years, sometimes a particular instrument won't move for great lengths of time.. damage only comes when they get bumped, tipped or something drops on them.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
veery715 wrote:
trpthrld wrote:
veery715 wrote:
The copper bell on my Kanstul 1525 deformed from sitting on a stand. I would choose to put it on any. Brass bells are probably OK.

"deformed"?

How?

Any pics?
No pics now. The bell material was pushed outwards by the center support of the stand. I admit I left it there for a couple of weeks before I noticed. My tech straightened it and some other damage caused by my failure to zip the case closed one day. I certainly hurt it more than any stand could have.

I can't imagine damage being done by just sitting on a stand, regardless of the stand. There must have been some other force applied beyond the weight of the instrument, regardless of the bell material (some bell materials are softer, but not that soft).. i.e dropped, hit or pressed.

I've left instruments out on stands in my study for years, sometimes a particular instrument won't move for great lengths of time.. damage only comes when they get bumped, tipped or something drops on them.
Nothing like that happened. The copper is very soft on that horn. Maybe we had a spike in gravity!
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my trumpet & flugel Spyder stands. I used them with my 8310z trumpet and 8310z flugel.

While they are indeed lighter and more compact than the K&M stands, my horns (trumpet or flugel) definitely do not sit on them with the security that K&M provides. If I played in a pit, or somewhere where everyone was sitting, I could see these being a great choice. However, since I regularly play on stages with cables everywhere and people standing and moving around, I would not trust my horns on these stands. Their reduced weight seems considerably less stable, and the peg design seems to hold the horn slightly crooked.

If weight is an issue for you and your performance setting is stable and not dangerous, I think the Spyder stands could be a great choice. But I am unable to recommend them over my K&M stands, which are considerably more stable and hold the horn more securely. For now, my Spyder stands will stay in my practice studio, where they will be very useful.

I hope this review is helpful.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I was using K&M for trumpet & flugel stands I would use the flugel legs on the trumpet cone and the trumpet legs on the flugel cone.

MUCH more stable that way.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Back when I was using K&M for trumpet & flugel stands I would use the flugel legs on the trumpet cone and the trumpet legs on the flugel cone.

I get using the flugel legs on the trumpet cone, but wouldn’t the trumpet legs on the flugel cone would be less stable?

Brad
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
trpthrld wrote:

I get using the flugel legs on the trumpet cone, but wouldn’t the trumpet legs on the flugel cone would be less stable?

Brad

Nope.

Lower center of gravity of a flugel makes up for that. But to help with that I always lined up the body of my flugel with one of the legs. Quite honestly that's something that should be done on just about every trumpet stand.

Conversely, the higher COG of a trumpet needs the extra stability on the longer flugel legs.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
trpthrld wrote:

Brad

Nope.

Lower center of gravity of a flugel makes up for that. But to help with that I always lined up the body of my flugel with one of the legs. Quite honestly that's something that should be done on just about every trumpet stand.

Conversely, the higher COG of a trumpet needs the extra stability on the longer flugel legs.

Ok, I checked my KM five leg stands, the leg portion on both the trumpet and flugel stand is exactly the same on both, same overall width and leg length. Maybe KM changed this at some point?

Brad
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Ok, I checked my KM five leg stands, the leg portion on both the trumpet and flugel stand is exactly the same on both, same overall width and leg length. Maybe KM changed this at some point?

Brad

Yep.

When they changed from 3-legged stands to the current 5-legged.

I had the 3-legged. The flugel legs were MUCH longer.

plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K&M five-leg flugel stand: compact, solid, low and sturdy. Perfect. I carry mine in a mute bag, not inside the bell.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
wehip

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just keep a small washcloth in my trumpet case and throw it over my trumpet stand when I need it to hold the flugel. I figure there's no point in packing two stands since I don't need to stand up my trumpet and flugel at the same time.
Piccolo: Kanstul 920
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: