• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How dangerous is to smell trumpet valve oil by mistake?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boog wrote:
Use "Mississippi Valve Oil" (Saliva). Organic, non-toxic, bio-degradable, sustainable, easy to transport and store, and cheap!

Reminds me of the time my Jr High Band (Go Westview Vikings!) was performing in the Chicago Christmas Parade. As always our pre-parade stationing location was right on one of the bridges going over the river (grated bridge so the hollowing, freezing wind came right up from below bringing our core body temperatures down to the appropriate 15 degrees Fahrenheit or so). One of the kids mistakenly "oiled" his valves with one of those slide grease containers that looked identical to the corresponding valve oil container. Oops. Nobody had proper valve oil. Oops. Imagine 8 or 9 11-12 years olds, in uniform, on that freezing bridge, each trying to save up and supply spit for those valves.
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
boog wrote:
Use "Mississippi Valve Oil" (Saliva). Organic, non-toxic, bio-degradable, sustainable, easy to transport and store, and cheap!

Reminds me of the time my Jr High Band (Go Westview Vikings!) was performing in the Chicago Christmas Parade. As always our pre-parade stationing location was right on one of the bridges going over the river (grated bridge so the hollowing, freezing wind came right up from below bringing our core body temperatures down to the appropriate 15 degrees Fahrenheit or so). One of the kids mistakenly "oiled" his valves with one of those slide grease containers that looked identical to the corresponding valve oil container. Oops. Nobody had proper valve oil. Oops. Imagine 8 or 9 11-12 years olds, in uniform, on that freezing bridge, each trying to save up and supply spit for those valves.

I remember a time when I was teaching in North Alabama, I took my High School band to a Christmas parade and the temperature dropped to about 7 degrees F. just before the parade started. Needless to say, NOTHING worked. Woodwind keys stopped working, brass valves and trombone slides were frozen solid...the percussion section got us through the parade.

Fortunately, they still remembered their feature from football season, so they saved the day!

It DOES get cold down here in the Deep South sometimes! Not as cold as in Chicago, of course! A couple of trumpet section members in my big band are from Chicago, and I have heard stories!

Regards, Dave
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boog wrote:

Saliva causes cancer, but only when swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time. - G. Carlin
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this an AI-generated topic?
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetjaguar wrote:

Nope. No "I" involved.
cjborg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Non-Issue Reply with quote

I have little expertise as a trumpet player or musician, but I make my living as a pharmacologist and toxicologist and am quite familiar with the toxicological properties of various types of oils.

Life is full of hazards; valve oil is NOT one of them. . . (assuming you don't smoke, snort, skin-pop, or mainline large quantities of it).
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
jetjaguar wrote:

Nope. No "I" involved.

No kidding.

Brad
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How dangerous is to smell trumpet valve oil by mistake? Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Tro.sy wrote:
What's the safest way to use valve oils?

To put it on your valves.

Agreed. And probably also the most salient
KRHafer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Oil volatility Reply with quote

While ingesting valve oil would be particularly dangerous, inhaling the "fumes" shouldn't pose too much a problem for you, so long as this contact is transient and occurs during normal maintanence. Unless you are using an extremely light, penetrating oil, it's volatility (tendency to spontaneously evaporate) is low. That being said, don't huff valve oil.
trumpetobsession2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really thought about valve oil being toxic, but that's mainly because I've never had the inclination to sniff it or drink it haha.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy smelling my trumpets ...
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
MrSarin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Literally just dont drink it! I don’t think generally that you wil have to worry about the toxicity of it and worry about it creeping in your nose, would take a long time to actually be effective airborne.
silverhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the fumes from most valve oils were highly toxic, then I doubt that products like Zaja scented valve oil would exist? It's very unlikely imho that valve oil fumes would be toxic upon casual exposure unless you were deliberately trying to inhale fumes directly for a prolonged period? Valve oil has been used in instruments for a long time and I have yet to hear or read about anyone having toxic effects that were directly attributed to valve oil fumes?
Pauvog11

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt really worry about the toxicity of smelling valve oil occasionally. Regularly clean your instrument and routinely wash your hands. As long as your not ingesting it or getting it in your eyes, you will probably be fine.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: How dangerous is to smell trumpet valve oil by mistake? Reply with quote

Tro.sy wrote:

Very, very dangerous.

But it's okay to smell it intentionally.

I love the smell of valve oil in the morning!

oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How dangerous is to smell trumpet valve oil by mistake? Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
Tro.sy wrote:

Very, very dangerous.

But it's okay to smell it intentionally.

I love the smell of valve oil in the morning!

I guarantee that every dead trumpet player smelled oil at some point. You can draw your own conclusions.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How dangerous is to smell trumpet valve oil by mistake? Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
I guarantee that every dead trumpet player smelled oil at some point. You can draw your own conclusions.

The perfect answer. Oxleyk wins the Internet!!

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverhorn wrote:
If the fumes from most valve oils were highly toxic, then I doubt that products like Zaja scented valve oil would exist? It's very unlikely imho that valve oil fumes would be toxic upon casual exposure unless you were deliberately trying to inhale fumes directly for a prolonged period? Valve oil has been used in instruments for a long time and I have yet to hear or read about anyone having toxic effects that were directly attributed to valve oil fumes?

Lack of proof of danger is not proof of safety. Nor is a company putting additives into a product proof of a product’s safety.

Think of cigarettes and how they were touted as having health benefits for years. Or vaping companies adding scents and flavors to hook the naive and you can see proof to the fallacy of inferring safety from those “facts”.

It is just as likely they could have long term effects and we just don’t know it. Or not.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tasted it once in junior high. I’m OkY! Don’t recommend it though
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"How dangerous is to smell trumpet valve oil by mistake?"

Probably not as dangerous as smelling it on purpose. I've always said that if valve oils were truly professional, they would be 80 proof.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: