• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Denis Wick Piccolo Mute

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ColoradoOrch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Denis Wick Piccolo Mute Reply with quote

Does anyone have an opinion on the Denis Wick piccolo straight mute? I enjoy playing the standard DW straight mute and I'm curious if it's a reasonable option for piccolo as well.
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never cared for the Wick Picc Mute. To me it feels stuffy and has a small nasal sound. I prefer the Jo Ral's or TrumCor's.

JU
ColoradoOrch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendations. Of those two, do you find that they have different qualities or are best used on different repertoire?
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of Wick piccolo mutes. They were given to me by a friend, but I don't use them.

Like johntpt, I find them to sound pinched - almost tinny - and feel stuffy. Intonation is passable I suppose.

I also have a JoRal copper bottom and two Humes & Berg, one being all aluminum and one with a copper bottom. All three have much more open sounds, better intonation and better response than the Wicks.

I would say they could have different uses for different repertoire, but I hesitate to make any such recommendations because it largely depends on our natural sounds as players.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: