• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rim Diameter vs. Rim Profile

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Rim Diameter vs. Rim Profile Reply with quote

I’ve been thinking lately about how obsessed we can get with manufacturer specs on rim sizes. As trumpeters we so often ask for size comparisons when we are considering new mouthpieces, but after years of mouthpiece safaris, gigging, and learning, I wish someone had guided me to the importance of rim contour as a younger player.

Finding the right rim contour to interface with my chops and dental structure has been the single most critical equipment parameter to advance my development over the years.

Backbores, cup shape, even the horn itself, all take a backseat to the importance of the rim contour in my experience. Just my thought for today. Do any others feel the same way?
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns
Troy Sargent
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% agree.

I think part of the "problem" is that most companies have one "stock" rim contour that is the easiest to find (or the others require special order). For instance, I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen a Bach W mouthpiece in a store (always a 7EW for piccolo it seems). Add to that the fact that most "big box" music stores only have one or two brands of mouthpiece available it makes it difficult to find what you like or to even discover what is out there.

The only way I have been able to try different rim shapes is to play things from different manufactures. I've tried Bach, Yamaha, Stomvi, Warburton, Parke, Curry, Kanstul, and who knows how many others. When you can do this it becomes possible to find something that really "fits your lips" so to speak. I found what I like rim wise in the GR Standard rims (which I then have reeves cut off and make an underpart to match). However, I'm also lucky enough to have NAMM basically in my backyard every year which has allowed me to try a LOT of equipment and Reeves a reasonable driving distance to allow me to experiment. I was also lucky to find a rim shape that really works for me pretty early into my undergraduate career.

Once you find the "rim that fits" you can play other contours but you can tell something is off or weird. Its a strange experience to be sure especially when they have the same / similar diameter. I think the best analogy is if the mouthpiece diameter is the shoe size the rim contour is the arch support. It doesn't necessarily have to be 100% there but when you get it right you will never go back. Horrible analogy but it gets the point across I think.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rim Diameter vs. Rim Profile Reply with quote

J-Walk wrote:
I’ve been thinking lately about how obsessed we can get with manufacturer specs on rim sizes. As trumpeters we so often ask for size comparisons when we are considering new mouthpieces, but after years of mouthpiece safaris, gigging, and learning, I wish someone had guided me to the importance of rim contour as a younger player.

Finding the right rim contour to interface with my chops and dental structure has been the single most critical equipment parameter to advance my development over the years.

Backbores, cup shape, even the horn itself, all take a backseat to the importance of the rim contour in my experience. Just my thought for today. Do any others feel the same way?

I wholeheartedly agree! For me too this has been the critical interface between me and the horn. Schilke standard rims seem to suit me - but this is very personal. This issue has been very significant in my case, because I switch between lead chair trumpet and brass band front row.
Seems there is a "least tolerable deviation" between rims that you can "handle". Personally I´ve learned this the hard way - notwithstanding this should be rather obvious!
Then we have those guys that can play anything. A friend of mine could go straight from sousaphone to E-flat cornet....
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rim size & contour is very important for comfort (and to avoid injury) if the player has teeth or lip issues. In that situation finding a workable rim is critical. A player should not try, or be forced, to 'tough it out' with a rim that actually hurts or injures the lips.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the rim diameter the length of the opening while the rim contour is the point of contact on the rim?

I've had mouthpieces who both have the same opening sizes but one feels larger (or smaller) than the other.

As a shopper, it would be more helpful to me to know how wide/small it actually feels rather than its physical width measurement.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Isn't the rim diameter the length of the opening while the rim contour is the point of contact on the rim?

I've had mouthpieces who both have the same opening sizes but one feels larger (or smaller) than the other.

As a shopper, it would be more helpful to me to know how wide/small it actually feels rather than its physical width measurement.

The problem here is that there is no such thing as the "length of the opening" - you'd have to define how/where you're measuring it before that would even make sense (and different makers/people do that differently).

On the "same opening sizes but one feels larger (or smaller)" comment - well yes, but that depends if they were actually measured to be the same at the same point or not... and then you have other factors which will affect that perception (eg: alpha angle and rim shape/profile/contour).

Generally the rim contour is describing the cross-sectional profile of the rim - how wide it is, what the approximate shape is (is it flat? does the outside edge slope away significantly? etc), where the highpoint is on the rim, etc.

As far as knowing how it's going to feel... unfortunately that will vary for different players, it's basically impossible to quantify with just one measurement, so you'd need to use multiple factors and understand approximately how they might relate to one another - and most shoppers are relatively uninformed and won't have the first clue that there's more to it than just "what's the diameter?"
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

The problem here is that there is no such thing as the "length of the opening" - you'd have to define how/where you're measuring it before that would even make sense (and different makers/people do that differently).

On the "same opening sizes but one feels larger (or smaller)" comment - well yes, but that depends if they were actually measured to be the same at the same point or not... and then you have other factors which will affect that perception (eg: alpha angle and rim shape/profile/contour).

Generally the rim contour is describing the cross-sectional profile of the rim - how wide it is, what the approximate shape is (is it flat? does the outside edge slope away significantly? etc), where the highpoint is on the rim, etc.

As far as knowing how it's going to feel... unfortunately that will vary for different players, it's basically impossible to quantify with just one measurement, so you'd need to use multiple factors and understand approximately how they might relate to one another - and most shoppers are relatively uninformed and won't have the first clue that there's more to it than just "what's the diameter?"

Ah, the wonderful confusion from a lack of standard terminology.

I prefer the term "cup diameter" (diameter of the cup inside the rim, say .650"), but then some refer to that as "rim diameter." Others call it "inner diameter" while the measurement across both the rim and the cup is the "outer diameter."

And I've heard people call rim thickness "diameter" which is not correct because a diameter is the distance across a circle or sphere through its center point.

And then people argue about equipment because the terminology is not settled.

GR has settled on some good terminology:

https://www.grmouthpieces.com/category-s/271.htm

While it doesn't include everything players talk about, it's concise and easy to understand.

To the topic at hand, I think the underpart (cup, throat and backbore) can be just as important as the rim contour. A comfortable mouthpiece that is hard to play in tune will tire a player out the same as an uncomfortable rim, just having to lip it around. It won't happen as fast, but it will still happen. If I find a mpc that plays really well but the rim isn't comfortable, I think I would either have it threaded to take acceptable rims or have the rim contour altered.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big question regarding rim diameter is:

Where is the manufacturer measuring from? Are they measuring from high spot to high spot on the rim, or, are they measuring from where the cup officially meets the rim, or, are they measuring from a bite point which is slightly down from the top plane of the rim?

The ISO (International Standards Organization) has not put out any rules of standardization on trumpet mouthpiece measurements that govern where the actual cup diameter is measured to and from, which explains why mouthpieces from different manufacturers that are reported to have the same diameter can feel significantly different. (The part about the ISO is tongue-in-cheek, they couldn't possibly give a rip about trumpet playing)

But back to the topic of the OP's comment.......rim contours can make a huge difference. Search on YouTube for interviews of Wayne Bergeron. In one of his interviews, actually he's told the story on several interviews, including on his Bob Reeves "Other Side of the Bell" podcast at 57:35 into the interview, he tells of how Willie Murillo and GR mouthpieces saved his career.

It's very interesting listening that sheds light on this topic.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of that considerable info. above, notwithstanding, what would it take to have the mouthpiece makers have the same, standard designation across the board? Would make a starting point for consumers easier.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some standardization. They measure in millimeters, inches, or both. Different contours are going to make those measurements feel different.

Some mouthpieces don't even have that inner "bite" that is below the top plane. But when it's there, that's what you feel. So even if there was a rule that said you have to measure from the top plane edge, the player is still going to feel it from where that bite is. So trying to standardize this doesn't really help the issue.

At some point, you just have to get close to the size that you like and then try them all out and see what works best.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabriel127 wrote:
There is some standardization. They measure in millimeters, inches, or both. Different contours are going to make those measurements feel different.

Some mouthpieces don't even have that inner "bite" that is below the top plane. But when it's there, that's what you feel. So even if there was a rule that said you have to measure from the top plane edge, the player is still going to feel it from where that bite is. So trying to standardize this doesn't really help the issue.

At some point, you just have to get close to the size that you like and then try them all out and see what works best.

This is why the guys who customize mouthpieces will always have business, threading this rim to that cup, etc. As I told a comeback player friend of mine the other day, "NOTHING is more expensive than a mouthpiece safari."

Thankfully, mine is over for now, thanks to K.O. at Stomvi. On to the horn safaris!
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
"NOTHING is more expensive than a mouthpiece safari."

Thankfully, mine is over for now, thanks to K.O. at Stomvi.

I have the idea I heard this before. But at the same time:
"Stopping a mouthpece safari is not at all difficult! I did it a hundred times!"
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
To the topic at hand, I think the underpart (cup, throat and backbore) can be just as important as the rim contour. A comfortable mouthpiece that is hard to play in tune will tire a player out the same as an uncomfortable rim, just having to lip it around. It won't happen as fast, but it will still happen. If I find a mpc that plays really well but the rim isn't comfortable, I think I would either have it threaded to take acceptable rims or have the rim contour altered.

I definitely agree, Tom. All parameters interact to create a balance or imbalance for sure. I think what I was trying to get at in my original post was that while other parameters impact the balance or imbalance of the blow, sound, etc., a rim contour that interfaces poorly with a players face can actually cause damage to the embouchure and facial tissue. I definitely agree with you that all parts of the mouthpiece are still critical for creating a total balance between the player and any given instrument.

Cheers,
Adams A5
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-Walk wrote:
Tpt_Guy wrote:

I definitely agree, Tom. All parameters interact to create a balance or imbalance for sure. I think what I was trying to get at in my original post was that while other parameters impact the balance or imbalance of the blow, sound, etc., a rim contour that interfaces poorly with a players face can actually cause damage to the embouchure and facial tissue. I definitely agree with you that all parts of the mouthpiece are still critical for creating a total balance between the player and any given instrument.

Cheers,

For sure. One mouthpiece that comes to mind is a Bach 1B. Hideous rim. Unplayable for me. Painful, in fact. The narrow rim and soft bite make the cup feel wider than it is and dig into the chops. Others have shared this sentiment. Great sound. But I think the solution lies in what many pro orchestra players have done: get a B underpart and put a C rim on it.

I also have a Kanstul top that's a copy of a Schilke 15B rim on a Schilke 24 cup. Amazing sound, but the soft bite and high point don't sit well on my chops.

I think we are in agreement: all parameters are important, but if the rim discourages playing the mouthpiece becomes a torture device.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GR tried get manufacturers to use a standardized measurement on the actual width of the mouthpiece from the high point on the rim to an exact depth down.
Here is the diagram.
https://www.grmouthpieces.com/category-s/237.htm

Marcinkiewicz follows this and I think Curry does too.

Manufacturers had no intention of using this measurement. Probably because they couldn't or wouldn't understand the mathematics. Math does not lie. It is the one constant in the universe.
It may feel "different" on the lips which could be due to a number of other parameters, but at least there would be one standard in place.
R Tomasek
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
GR tried get manufacturers to use a standardized measurement on the actual width of the mouthpiece from the high point on the rim to an exact depth down.
Here is the diagram.
https://www.grmouthpieces.com/category-s/237.htm

Marcinkiewicz follows this and I think Curry does too.

This is interesting because, in terms of face-feel vs claimed specs, Marcinkiewicz has always struck me as something of an outlier (am I alone in this??)...

To take a (quoted) 3C kind of size...
- Curry says his 3C is a .665" and it feels comparable to what other manufacturers claim, somewhere around Warburton 3-4, around GR 66-67.
- Marcinkiewicz says their "6/10.5C" is a .663" and it feels considerably smaller than the Curry 3C (or similar pieces from GR, Warburton and others).... to get an equivalent size feel from Marcinkiewicz I'd feel more at home with the E3/3C which is quoted at .677"!

Now either I'm especially sensitive to a factor that affects perception of ID (and which is significantly different on Marcinkiewicz but similar on Curry, Warburton and GR)... or ID measured in this way is simply not a particularly useful number on it's own (and needs other parameters to be supplied with in in order to make sense).

Quote:
Manufacturers had no intention of using this measurement. Probably because they couldn't or wouldn't understand the mathematics. Math does not lie. It is the one constant in the universe.
It may feel "different" on the lips which could be due to a number of other parameters, but at least there would be one standard in place.
R Tomasek

I doubt it's because of a lack of understanding of the mathematics of measuring ID in that specific way, that in itself is not rocket science...

I would think it's more likely that:
- They consider it to be potentially confusing to change their claimed stats on pieces they've sold for years when those pieces haven't changed
- They consider it unnecessary (ie: it'd cost them money to do it for no perceived benefit from their POV).
- It wouldn't make their products any easier to understand - Bach, for example (having a wide array of different rim shapes/widths, alpha angles and so on) isn't going to make the face-feel of its products more predictable by switching to this method of measuring ID, it has too many other factors at play

As you say, "Math does not lie"... but this doesn't mean that the math will be simple (it's clearly not) or that a model with only one variable will have much predictive power.
This is, of course, the beauty of GR - because so many different parameters are defined, it's possible to play with multiple variables specifically, or to test for certain values in order to understand what particular players need...
It is also, ultimately (in my view) meaningless to insist on measuring this one factor a specific way when other factors would remain undefined, I just don't see how it would make things any more predictable than they are now?
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
spitvalve wrote:
"NOTHING is more expensive than a mouthpiece safari."

Thankfully, mine is over for now, thanks to K.O. at Stomvi.

I have the idea I heard this before. But at the same time:
"Stopping a mouthpece safari is not at all difficult! I did it a hundred times!"

1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going in the sense of TKsop, the Marcinkiewicz Ingram'ID given 16.54mm feels to me like a Bach 10 3/4 given at 15.75mm.

the Marc. Shew given at 16.81mm is given in Yamaha for the Shew lead at 16.54mm
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even as this thread develops, it is interesting how is has begun to focus to the issue of somehow standardizing rim measurements among manufacturers. I agree with those that suggest that doing so is a moot point.

For example, even GR rims of the same diameter feel completely different based on high point, thickness, bite, etc. I have play tested a variety of the GR rim contours in the same diameter, and they do not “feel” like they are the same size. In fact, the rim contour on the different GR rims of the same diameter make each piece feel, wider, more narrow, deeper, shallower, etc. Add to this the dental structure of a player and it is useless to focus on i.d. and o.d. alone.

I still suggest that contour and how it fits each individual’s face is far more important than worrying about diameter. In my case, diameter is secondary to finding a rim shape that does not impinge or unnecessarily fatigue my chops. My all around mouthpiece is around a .665 diameter, while my commercial piece is around a .625; but the rim shapes on both assist me in playing without impinging my embouchure. The Bach 7C, 5C, 3C, 3B, and the 1.5C rims I progressed through as a young player years ago were detrimental to my development. Improper technique, excessive pressure, and lip damage ensued. These are industry standard mouthpieces that work great for many players, but not all, especially not me.

For those of us that teach younger students, we need to be much more open minded and educated on how to fit developing players with compatible equipment.
Adams A5
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mouthpiece's I.D. is a starting point,but the rim contour(flat,round) and the rim's high point, determines how big it will actually feel when playing.That's why different manufacturers can have mouthpieces which measure the same but can feel so different on your lips.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: