• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Neo Cornet Intonation and 1st Valve Slide Trigger question?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FDSMusic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Neo Cornet Intonation and 1st Valve Slide Trigger question? Reply with quote

Anyone else out there noticing that the Neo Cornet's high A is ridiculously hard to slot? I am continuously playing high B! When it does lock in, I have noticed that it plays pretty sharp, and even with the 1st valve slide trigger all the way down, I am still lipping it down.

When at NABBA, I was told that I should "clock" the mouthpiece I was using by the Yamaha Rep, and then someone said that you could adjust the slide trigger rod to expand the rod. I suppose this would be done by unscrewing the screw assemblies on each side? I just wanted to see if this was true before I take the horn into the shop to see if there is an alignment issue.

Thoughts? Can the trigger rod be expanded?
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, the A doesn't lock in with too small of a mouthpiece bore. What are you using for a mouthpiece?

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Neo Cornet Intonation and 1st Valve Slide Trigger questi Reply with quote

FDSMusic wrote:
Anyone else out there noticing that the Neo Cornet's high A is ridiculously hard to slot? I am continuously playing high B! When it does lock in, I have noticed that it plays pretty sharp, and even with the 1st valve slide trigger all the way down, I am still lipping it down.

When at NABBA, I was told that I should "clock" the mouthpiece I was using by the Yamaha Rep, and then someone said that you could adjust the slide trigger rod to expand the rod. I suppose this would be done by unscrewing the screw assemblies on each side? I just wanted to see if this was true before I take the horn into the shop to see if there is an alignment issue.

Thoughts? Can the trigger rod be expanded?

The idea is presumably to extend the throw on the first slide trigger. There would not be a lot of space to expand the rod - screws on the rod are rather short and only partially engaged into the ear bushings. As you have noted, it would be sufficient to undo both larger diameter screws attaching the ear bushings, respectively, to the cornet and to the first valve slide, turn the bushing ears counterclockwise a turn or two, and re-attach the assembly back to where it was.

Be really careful - these slotted screws may be quite tight. It is very easy to slip and to mar/scratch the screw head, or anything around it - both while removing and attaching the assembly.

You could buy just the rod alone from Yamaha parts 24x7, cut it in the middle and braze in an extension. You might be able to cut opposite-side threads on both newly cut ends and use an opposite-side hex profile bushing to make it possible to adjust the throw as needed (there may not be enough clearance for that unless the hex bushing is really thin).

Have you tried to play A as 3?

If with 12 you overshoot to B, can you use 23 to overshoot to A?
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What mouthpiece are you using?

This was a common complaint on the maestro model but seemed much improved on the Xeno and Neo.
I know some seriously good cornet players using them without a bad word to say about them (something which couldn't be said for the maestro)
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to believe that Yamaha would release a production design that had an issue like you describe. Assume for the purpose of discussion that this is true.

This would mean that there is either something wrong with the build of your horn, like the first crook is cut too short. If that were the case other notes that require the first valve in combination with other valves should have the same issue. So this probably is not it.

Or the gap could be off. When I was working with Mike Thompson on a slippery D above high C, similar to what you are describing, he pointed out how the tuning of the partials changed as the gap changed. If the gap is too small you can try wrapping the mouthpiece shank with paper to increase the gap and see if it makes a difference.

Or the issue could be you. Perhaps you naturally play high in the slots and the the A just doesn't lock in as well.

One thing you could try is to have a pro level player play your trumpet and see if they experience the same issue.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hard time slotting A on all my cornets. I use the 3rd valve for that A
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Neo Reply with quote

Hello all,
I use third valve most of the time on all of my horns. Bb, C, trumpet or cornets. Slots just work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: