• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Little help with a few issues on the 40 Olds Super

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Longshot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Little help with a few issues on the 40 Olds Super Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I've played the Old's Super for a few days now that we originally discussed in this thread: https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=151019 and I have a few questions to ask regarding some things I've noticed.

Again, I'm a comeback player (coming over from Trombone) from about 15 years ago. So this is my first trumpet. Here's what I've noticed and I'd like know if it's me or the horn.

The 3rd valve tuning slide almost falls out of the horn if I don't hold it in with the pinky ring. If I pull it out quick it does make a pop sound.. but if I just let it be, it does go on it's on.. especially if I lean the horn down.

Also, there seems to be some air resistance with certain notes... especially when I play the A on the staff. It's like the note it being held back. Kind of like a slight "clog" feeling that I have to overcome.

Finally, I have water/spit leaking from the main tuning slide, especially the top part.

Hopefully all of these or normal or just things that need a slight tweak. I will keep trying to notice more as I get some semblance of a lip. Thanks

Mike
Bb Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the land of Vintage Horns ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Get a hair tie to use as a keeper for you 3rd valve slide.

Try alternate fingering to help diagnose the stuffiness. With A in the staff, does the same condition excise with using just the 3rd valve?

Leaking slides can be, kind of, solved with a heavier grease. They can be expanded to a certain degree but you will risk splitting the tube.

Iโ€™ve got a Studio and Super. I really like them both. For their age, they are great horns. But, I can see a trip to the brass tech for both some time in the future. Still cheaper than new.

Good luck and remember, this is supposed to be fun!

Best,

Bob
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hair tie is great for keeping the third slide all the way in while the horn sits on a stand; not so much if you reach for a mute while playing it.

It may not work on every horn, but on my Conn 28A I've used two zip ties, one on the bottom of the main tuning slide and the other on the third valve slide. Clip off the excess ribbon and position the heads/pawls so that they collide when the slide is out as far as you want it to go. Don't make it too tight; you can rotate one of the tie heads out of the way to remove the slide. I'd post a picture if I could. It's much more elegant than twine...
Bb Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have been more descriptive. The hair tie I meant is one of the elastic ones that you can buy, 10 for a couple bucks. I attach them by looping a brace on the 3rd slide and the second slide. Provides enough tension to keep the slide in the closed position but still allow the tuning slide to work when needed.

I was thinking plunger mutes. Kept blowing the slide out for every wow ๐Ÿ˜ฎ
stevericks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your horn. The Super is a fabulous instrument. Spot on intonation and full, thick sound. I have two and prefer them to any of the other Olds horns (yes, everyone has their favorites). You may need to have the third slide tubing slightly expanded to stop the slide from dropping. An easy fix for a tech. (Or, less expensive are the suggestions above). Also, the fact that some notes seem to have more resistance makes me wonder if valve alignment might be slightly off. The Supers had felts in the valve caps and it could be that one or more has gotten too compressed and is causing an alignment problem. There are several ways alignment can be off-that is just one, but it can be quickly checked. Pull the second slide completely out. Push the valve down and see if the holes in the valve line up perfectly with the slide tubing. If they donโ€™t, there is your problem. Do this for each valve.

One other question. Have you cleaned the horn (washed using a snake to clean inside)? That could also be a problem.

A trip to a tech is probably warranted. Likely, very minor issues. Congrats on the horn. Good choice.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: thicker slide grease Reply with quote

Remove all of the old slide grease and use thicker slide grease. If you have rods on the 3rd slide , a 3rd slide comb works well too.
Yamaha 11 e4 cornet mouthpiece
Yamaha 9e cornet mouthpiece
Bach 5 B cornet mouthpiece
mdarnton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rank amateur here without the right to have an opinion, but might the problem with your A be that you are lipping it down a bit, out of the optimum resonance zone, to be in pitch? Try pulling the first valve slide a bit on this note and see if it helps.
dr-pepp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olds Supers made just a couple of years before yours had both a 1st slide push rod and a 3rd valve slide stop rod mechanism. At the time, neither feature was common on a lot of trumpets, but if your "new" Super had these, this would simplify things for you. On Supers without a stop rod, I've had some that had a very smooth 3rd slide, but the tubing was expanded just enough to provide the resistance needed to keep the slide from falling out. Should be an easy adjustment by your local tech.
also administrator of Olds Central
www.olds-central.com
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Little help with a few issues on the 40 Olds Super Reply with quote

Longshot wrote:
Also, there seems to be some air resistance with certain notes... especially when I play the A on the staff. It's like the note it being held back. Kind of like a slight "clog" feeling that I have to overcome. ...

-----------------------------------------
My guess (and experience) is that the trouble is slight valve alignment issue. Perhaps with both the 1 & 2 valves - not enough to notice when either is used alone, but obvious with both. If there isn't a problem when all valves are UP, then adjustment of the 1 & 2 DOWN position can help.
Test if allowing either / both valves be very slightly not 'fully down' gives improvement.

By 'eyeball' the DOWN valve port positions can detect big alignment problems, but the 'best' position can only be found by precise adjust and test procedure. Even if the 2 ports of a valve that you can see look good, there are also the other 2 ports (main IN and OUT) that can't be seen - so it's a delicate process to find the position where ALL the ports work good.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: