• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet mouthpiece with a very wide edge?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tro.sy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Trumpet mouthpiece with a very wide edge? Reply with quote

Hello Guys,
So i am looking for a trumpet mouthpiece with a very wide edge because i have big lips and that's very good in the upper register. What do you recommend me?
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRs and Monette’s are my preferred rims, and they are pretty wide. Curry’s are also wide.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://storkcustom.com/how-your-lips-dictate-your-mouthpiece-choice/

Read this. Your perception may change.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knowing your background, how much you play, how advanced you are, what style of play you do, what your embouchure actually looks like, what issues you're having with sound/flexibility/range, etc - advice is better given in person.

However, I will challenge your assumption that thick lips = a wide rim mouthpiece. Not the case, one does not necessarily equal the other. I'll say that dental and muscular structure has more impact upon rim choice.

Find teacher to help you.
So many wonderful mouthpiece makers now, find a shop and get assistance - GR, Reeves, Warburton, Pickett, Curry, Stork - etc
Retired Air Force Bandsman
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.warburton-usa.com/index.php/faq/61-what-is-an-anchor-grip-top-do-i-need-one
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Trumpet mouthpiece with a very wide edge? Reply with quote

Tro.sy wrote:
Hello Guys,
So i am looking for a trumpet mouthpiece with a very wide edge because i have big lips and that's very good in the upper register. What do you recommend me?

Are you saying you're under the impression a wide "edge" - I assume you mean rim - is good for the upper register? Is that from personal experience or what someone told you?

I don't think that's a "rule" at all. You have to determine what works for you. I have fairly full lips and my current favorite mouthpiece for range is a Yamaha Bobby Shew Lead, not a particularly wide rim at all.

I have a Jet-Tone Studio B that has a wide, round rim and narrow, shallow cup and for me it only gets in the way of range, or playing at all for that matter.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that there is no automatic correlation between "big lips" and any particular rim diameter. "Big lips" come in a variety of sizes, shapes, thicknesses, muscular structures, etc., so it is definitely not "one size fits all" or "one solution fits all" situation.

I have only one thick rim mouthpiece. It came with a horn I bought used. It's an old Rudy Muck Cushion Rim and the rim is crazy thick with a shallow cup. It's really heavy, too. I don't play it. It's too strange for me. I'm just amazed that it exists and wonder what the concept behind it was. Somehow I don't think "flexibility" was on the list. It's sort of like playing into a doughnut.

jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Denis Wick width mouthpiece Reply with quote

Denis Wick classic trumpet mouthpieces has a 2 w mouthpieces.
Cup diameter: 17.00mm.
Rim width: 5.5mm.
Throat: 3.7mm.
Backbore: Barrel.

Their Maurice Murphy models have a wider rim
Cup diameter: 16.75mm.
Rim width: 5.35mm.
Throat: 3.7mm.
Backbore: V-Type.

https://www.deniswick.com
RyanFoster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the post on Stork mouthpieces.

In my opinion, The Stork Vacchiano mouthpiece is great for someone with moderately thin lips. The rim feels pretty cushy but you don't loose anything on attack.

And unless you need gold plating, I'd stick with silver so you can maximize some grip on it. I'd be afraid of putting the horn to my face, and missing an entrance with the horn up my nose.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
I agree that there is no automatic correlation between "big lips" and any particular rim diameter. "Big lips" come in a variety of sizes, shapes, thicknesses, muscular structures, etc., so it is definitely not "one size fits all" or "one solution fits all" situation.

I have only one thick rim mouthpiece. It came with a horn I bought used. It's an old Rudy Muck Cushion Rim and the rim is crazy thick with a shallow cup. It's really heavy, too. I don't play it. It's too strange for me. I'm just amazed that it exists and wonder what the concept behind it was. Somehow I don't think "flexibility" was on the list. It's sort of like playing into a doughnut.

These were popular with big band players in the swing era. They blew a lot of hours night after night.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:

An old guy who played in a dance band I participated in back in high school had a Rudy Muck. I seem to recall he let me try it once. I had the same basic impression as you. I don't see how anyone can play one but apparently they had a following.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage Al Cass mouthpiece might be what you are looking for.

https://trumpetgear.wordpress.com/2009/05/13/vintage-mouthpieces-talking-about-al-cass/
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:

:lol:

Never had one of those, but I think I know what you mean. My Selmer K-Mod came with a Selmer #4 mouthpiece. I've tried using it, but it's just too much like playing a trombone. I normally play the ubiquitous Bach 7C.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP is asking what mouthpieces come with a wide rim, (if that's what he means by "edge?") we could tell him which ones have a wide rim. Just a thought.

Among models mass produced now, I'm not aware of much variation in that direction. We might discuss other properties (parameters) that are often bundled together with wide / cushion rims, that affect things in ways that aren't due to the width of the rim. Bach W rims, for instance; they have an outside radius that's radically different from anything else I've ever seen, and leave you with a rim that's not really much wider than their standard. So I might caution the OP not to buy one of those as his first experiment with this idea.

Many custom mouthpiece makers could make you something wider, but you'd have to tell them how much wider you want. I would recommend James R New without any hesitation for any type of mouthpiece work!
mk-trumpet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is quite comfortable with not too wide rim and with good support from the very few rounded outside rim. I started using it in 2007 and later used it as basis for my custom made mouthpieces with nearly no rounded outside rims.
http://www.paulcacia.com/nav1.htm
I don't know whether it's still available, it was manufactured by Kanstul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: