• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

B&S users what oil do you use?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: B&S users what oil do you use? Reply with quote

To those who play B&S, what valve oil do you find works best? It is my intention to use the same oil for all my equipment but recognizing that not all horns within a given brand are the same more so for horns built by different brands. I use ultra pure on my Sonare Bb, Bach C, Conn Flugelhorn and Schilke Picc. I have not seen, felt, observed any problems with the valves on these horns. I want to assume that my B&S will not be negatively affected by my continued use of ultra pure on it.

Eb/D users do you use any kind of lubricant on the railing, so there is less friction when changing bells?
stumac
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have a B&S, lots of other makes, use UltraPure on all without any problems.

For rails, try rubbing some graphite with a 6B pencil, this will provide a dry lubricant that will not attract dirt.

Regards, Stuart.
Lukarino

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sonaré C trumpet that gave me tons of valve problems when I first got it (used). Ultra pure didn’t work, so I tried the thickest type of monster valve oil thinking the valves were worn. That was better but I still had problems, and the monster oil guys recommended I try the Doc’s juice (the thinnest oil they sell) and I haven’t had any problems since. B&S and Sonaré (at least, the German Sonarés) have the same valve block.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lukarino wrote:
I have a Sonaré C trumpet that gave me tons of valve problems when I first got it (used). Ultra pure didn’t work, so I tried the thickest type of monster valve oil thinking the valves were worn. That was better but I still had problems, and the monster oil guys recommended I try the Doc’s juice (the thinnest oil they sell) and I haven’t had any problems since. B&S and Sonaré (at least, the German Sonarés) have the same valve block.

Thanks for sharing! I have a Sonaré Bb trumpet made in Germany. I use ultra pure on it and have not had any problems really other than my 2nd valve, which will get sticky from time to time. Outside of that, each of the other horns responds well with it. I might which over to the Doc's juice and see if that solves the 2nd valve problem. Most likely will end up using ultra pure and if problems arise give monster oil a go.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJtpt31 wrote:
Lukarino wrote:

Thanks for sharing! I have a Sonaré Bb trumpet made in Germany. I use ultra pure on it and have not had any problems really other than my 2nd valve, which will get sticky from time to time. Outside of that, each of the other horns responds well with it. I might which over to the Doc's juice and see if that solves the 2nd valve problem. Most likely will end up using ultra pure and if problems arise give monster oil a go.

You probably know this, but...

Putting your horn down flat with the second valve crook down can cause distortion of the valve casing and create sticking second valves when none of the other stick.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
DJtpt31 wrote:
Lukarino wrote:

Putting your horn down flat with the second valve crook down can cause distortion of the valve casing and create sticking second valves when none of the other stick.

If the horn is not in my hands it's either in the case laying as it was intended to, on top of the case or on a tpt stand. I don't recall laying the horn down flat on the 2nd valve casing.
Lukarino

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJtpt31 wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
DJtpt31 wrote:
Lukarino wrote:

If the horn is not in my hands it's either in the case laying as it was intended to, on top of the case or on a tpt stand. I don't recall laying the horn down flat on the 2nd valve casing.

Interestingly enough, the root of my problems was mostly the second valve, resulting from the case design that put a ton of pressure on the 2nd valve slide. I stopped using that case as soon as I got it. And eventually (with the valve oil) the problem went away. On the C trumpet it is worse because the slide sticks straight out, but it could also affect a Bb if pressure is still being put on it. Make sure the Sonaré case isn’t putting a ton of pressure on that slide.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B&S D/Eb here. I use whatever oil I have around. It's usually Al Cass, but it can vary. I've never had any issues.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lukarino wrote:
DJtpt31 wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
DJtpt31 wrote:
Lukarino wrote:

Interestingly enough, the root of my problems was mostly the second valve, resulting from the case design that put a ton of pressure on the 2nd valve slide. I stopped using that case as soon as I got it. And eventually (with the valve oil) the problem went away. On the C trumpet it is worse because the slide sticks straight out, but it could also affect a Bb if pressure is still being put on it. Make sure the Sonaré case isn’t putting a ton of pressure on that slide.

I actually stopped use the Sonaré case some time ago and switched over to a wolfpak 2.5 case when I bought my C tpt. If I had a gig that only required my Bb horn then I would use the Sonaré case. Currently I upgraded to a Gard compact triple case (more room) the horns aren't in such close quarters.
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a Cannonball horn made by B&S. T2 oil works really well, not as happy with other brands.
Wick 2BFL
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denis Wick is best on my three B&S horns. Ultra Pure worked fine on the three Sonares I used to own.
Monster Oil, not so much. I tried all three viscosities, and was rewarded with bright yellow stains on my clothing and carpet.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
B&S D/Eb here. I use whatever oil I have around. It's usually Al Cass, but it can vary. I've never had any issues.

Thanks for sharing! I am planning on using ultra pure, but was interested to know what others are using. What do you do about the railing when changing the bell? It was suggested to "lube" the railing with the lead of a pencil.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never even thought about putting something on the railing. When I change the bell I just make sure to pull it out straight. To be honest, it feels a little like asking what I use to lube up my shoelaces for faster lacing. It's a solution to a problem I've never had or even considered as a possibility.

It's a great horn though. The only issue I've ever had is 3rd valve slide stop on mine is a funky design (not sure if they still use the same thing). It had a screw, super small spring, and a tiny plastic ball. I say had since the assembly scattered to the ends of the world the first time I took it apart. Now I just use a hair tie. No biggie. I love the horn.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You most have quiet a horn. I seem to have trouble when it comes to changing bells whether it was the Yamaha 9610 or my B&S horn. That experience is what is guiding my question.
trumpetp1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that I may be in a minority here, but I use Zaja oil on all of my horns, including several B&S trumpets. I do get quite a bit of teasing about the scented Zaja products but for whatever reason(s), the oil just works well with my body chemistry....plus, my horns smell delightful. Double win.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: