• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dennis Wick 4 cornet vs trumpet mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulgakov

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Dennis Wick 4 cornet vs trumpet mouthpiece Reply with quote

Hi,

How comparable are the same model cornet and trumpet mouthpieces? In this case a Dennis Wick 4.

I'm an advanced beginner, playing trumpet in a community orchestra and cornet in a British-style brass band.

I have a student model cornet I rent from the brass academy here. My teacher let me try out his Dennis Wick 4 mouthpiece, and I really liked it. So, the last time my other half made a trip to the US, she picked one up for me. ($50 in the US, 3x times that in NZ) and that is what I now use.

So, with the trumpet I currently play on a 5C (and I have a Schilke M5C which I picked up cheaply second-hand and which makes the higher stuff a bit easier at the expense of a very slightly less full tone in the lower end). How would the trumpet Wick compare? Is this even a meaningful comparison? If it is relevant, the trumpet is an old Getzen Severinsen.

I realize that the best thing is to try, but the selection is limited here and I would have to get the shop to special order it in.

Last edited by Bulgakov on Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wick 4 for trumpet is a nice mouthpiece and it's rim will be more similar to your Wick 4 cornet mouthpiece than many other trumpet mouthpieces. I played a show with a Wick 4 using cornet player who switched to trumpet and used a trumpet wick 4 very successfully. I used to own one and I thought it had a darkish, robust sound. It has a fairly deep cup and the backbore feels fairly big.
Wick 2BFL
Bulgakov

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brassmusician wrote:
The Wick 4 for trumpet is a nice mouthpiece and it's rim will be more similar to your Wick 4 cornet mouthpiece than many other trumpet mouthpieces. I played a show with a Wick 4 using cornet player who switched to trumpet and used a trumpet wick 4 very successfully. I used to own one and I thought it had a darkish, robust sound. It has a fairly deep cup and the backbore feels fairly big.

Thank you very much for the response. I'm going to give it a go.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first two trumpet mouthpieces I really liked as a comeback player were a Wick 4b and Bach 5c on trumpet. I think that's a good range to move in.
Bulgakov

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
The first two trumpet mouthpieces I really liked as a comeback player were a Wick 4b and Bach 5c on trumpet. I think that's a good range to move in.

I have a 5C for my trumpet. I realized rereading my post today that I wrote 7C, so I just corrected that.

In looking at the Wick comparison chart, the 4B says it has a medium cup vs a "Viennese" for the 4. What is the difference?

https://www.deniswick.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Denis-Wick-Products-Mouthpiece-Mute-Comparison-Chart.pdf

Again, I do really like the cornet version of the Wick 4 I am currently using.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only tried the 4b on trumpet. I have a 4.5 heritage for cornet, which supposedly is similar rim but different cup (but I just don't align well with the heritage rims). I really liked the 4b. I also have an MM2C, so MM4C is another option you could try, again with a different cup. And for another comparison point, I tried the Bach 5b cornet mouthpiece and found the bite too strong. Clearly there are a lot of things you can play around with in terms of cup, rim, throat and backbore even within one manufacturer and rim size.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Denis wick mouthpiece Reply with quote

I had both the Denis Wick 4 trumpet mouthpieces. Didn't hear the difference between the two mouthpieces. One of the great things about Denis Wick mouthpieces is the excellent resale prices.
stephen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should decide what type of cup (sound & playability) you want on the trumpet, and how important the contour is to you.

I regularly switch from a Wick 4 cornet to a Schilke 14 for trumpet. I almost went with a Marcinkiewicz CG Personal because it is much more funnel like similar to the Wick. I play the cornet more often because I am currently "sharing" a trumpet with my son. The CG Personal sounded more like the Wick 4, but I ultimately decided that a more conventional C cup mouthpiece would be better suited to the trumpet and more versatile in the longer term, especially when playing above the staff. I _did_ like that CG Personal though - and may acquire one yet.

As far as rims, I notice the difference, but quickly adjust. If rims shape and comfort is highly important, then staying with a similar Wick trumpet piece might be the way to go for you.
Getzen Capri cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: