• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Ipad available to enlarge music

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carloscamden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Best Ipad available to enlarge music Reply with quote

Greetings,
I am an amateur musician with low vision problems. Currently I make enlarged photo copies of the music I am playing which means I have to paste the pages together and end up with a bulky folder.
Is there an IPad that allows the user to enlarge the size of the "music font"?
I will appreciate any advise.
Please reply to my user name CarlosCamden.
Thanks!!
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The larger the display the bigger the music. So an iPad pro in the largest size would be best.

Turning it on it's side will make the music larger too. But you will only get a half page at a time.

One other thing that I did when I was using a regular iPad, with a Bluetooth foot pedal to change pages, was to move the music closer to my face. That made the music easier to read.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Ipad available to enlarge music Reply with quote

carloscamden wrote:
Greetings,
I am an amateur musician with low vision problems. Currently I make enlarged photo copies of the music I am playing which means I have to paste the pages together and end up with a bulky folder.
Is there an IPad that allows the user to enlarge the size of the "music font"?
I will appreciate any advise.
Please reply to my user name CarlosCamden.
Thanks!!

I don't believe that any simple solution will allow you to enlarge the staves and notes without also increasing the size of the page. I have used an iPad on its side, seeing only half a page and found that wasn't too hard at all to make the page turns even by hand. I'd score the largest tablet you can afford and try it that way. A page-turning pedal could help if you think that matters. FWIW, I've found that the illuminated screen makes it quite a bit easier to read the music even if the print isn't as large.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
carloscamden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning guys and thanks for the comments on the best IPad to read music.
The distance between your eyes and the paper is about 32 inches depending on the size of the horn you are playing. Getting the music stand closer will hit the trumpet and playing pointing down affects the sound and hurts your neck LOL.
UPS makes enlarged copies of the music dividing the page in 2 which would be the same effect as placing the IPad horizontally. That is no problem, turning the page can do with a finger as right now I have to turn scotched-tape-pasted pages like a book.......
Again thanks, I will save my pennies for a large pro IPad.
Let the music go on ! !!
Carlos
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carloscamden wrote:
The distance between your eyes and the paper is about 32 inches depending on the size of the horn you are playing. Getting the music stand closer will hit the trumpet and playing pointing down affects the sound and hurts your neck LOL.

Huh. I wish someone had told me that my trumpet was hitting the iPad when I used it closer than 32 inches.

In fact it does not hit the iPad. You just put the bell to the side of the iPad. QED.
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
carloscamden wrote:

Huh. I wish someone had told me that my trumpet was hitting the iPad when I used it closer than 32 inches.

In fact it does not hit the iPad. You just put the bell to the side of the iPad. QED.

Yeah, due to eye dominance issues (I'm right eye dominant but my left eye is the stronger, so sucks to be me) I have to position my stand to my left. Which means I can bring it closer and still play straight through past it.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinstriper wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
carloscamden wrote:

Yeah, due to eye dominance issues (I'm right eye dominant but my left eye is the stronger, so sucks to be me) I have to position my stand to my left. Which means I can bring it closer and still play straight through past it.

I purchased an adapter for a manhasset stand for my iPad. The adapter clamps on the riser in place of the normal music desk.
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of spending a king's ransom on an iPad, you might consider doing what I did:

I bought a Chuwi 13.3" Windows 10-based tablet that comes with a stylus and a detachable keyboard for under 300 dollars. It's got bluetooth built in, so you can use the bluetooth model foot pedals for turning pages. It also has a USB if you want to you the USB version of the foot pedal instead of bluetooth (the bluetooth foot pedal is 20 bucks more). On ebay, you can get the adapter for USB/Mini USB for cheap.

Then I downloaded Mobile Sheets pro (software that manages song lists and set lists) for a whopping 13 dollars and change and I'm loving it.

The Chuwi is actually a pretty powerful tablet in its own right with tons more speed and processing power than what are required for running music reading/scoring applications and it's got gaming-quality graphics (which again, are more than what you need).

It's a tablet, so it's got touch screen, but the detachable keyboard is awesome, so it's really a laptop convertible to a tablet. I really like this computer!

I mount the tablet on my mic stand for gigs, it all works great. If you're on stage and you need your face close to the music to accommodate vision issues, you can do that. Just mount the tablet on the mic stand, keep your face close to that, put your horn to the side and run and then run a goose-neck off of the stand to extend in front of the bell for the mic (or use a clip-on).

I'm not into status symbols, so I don't need mac/IOS equipment.

Last edited by gabriel127 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mount a projector to the end of your horn
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked what the Chuwi Hi 13 tablets are going for now and the prices have gone up since I bought mine.

Before buying, I really looked far and wide for a tablet of this size and price range and this was the only one that I found. The largest iPad is not as big as this and couldn't fit a full size page of music that was equivalent to the size of an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of music. This one is big enough.

I was glad to buy one of these up. My concern is that they might stop making the ones that are this big because of lack of demand. Everyone is so phone-oriented, they want everything smaller.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
carloscamden wrote:

I too have no problem playing to the side or below as needed.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: