• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Used Besson 1000 series cornet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulgakov

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Used Besson 1000 series cornet Reply with quote

I'm currently using a borrowed cornet for a community British style brass band. I'm keen to get my own cornet, but don't want to break the bank just yet.

I read in another older thread that the Besson 1000 was a good inexpensive option.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1478331

Assuming that is the case, what is one worth? I've found this one on our local version of Ebay. It has a few good dents and will warrant a trip to the shop, though the seller claims everything slides properly. With that in mind, what would be a reasonable amount to pay for it?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2200474191&rsqid=937ba5618514422ba0cf71e8212789bd-004

I'm not in a rush, so if anyone has suggestions for good horns to look out for (however, the selection here is pretty limited), I'd be interested in any suggestions.
bean_counter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played one briefly until I found a nice used Eclipse here on TH.

The local shop had several of these left over from a school program that used them, and a lot of new players in our recently organized BBB play them when starting out (we don't have many loaner horns yet). They sound good, and they are a really nice horn for the money (in good shape, US $300 +/- around here).

That said, it's a still a student horn. More resistance than a pro large bore horn, particularly up above the staff. It has a bit of an uneven response in the middle of the staff (I thought it just me, but a couple others in the band thought so too).

But unless there's something wrong with the loaner you have, or you have to give it back, resist temptation and save your money and buy a good used pro horn. The 1000 is likely a lateral move at best.
Eclipse cornet (Yellow, Bauerfeind) DW 4B Heritage
Cousnon clairon Bb
'60s Besson tenor horn DW 3
Bulgakov

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But unless there's something wrong with the loaner you have, or you have to give it back, resist temptation and save your money and buy a good used pro horn. The 1000 is likely a lateral move at best.

Thanks for the response. If I can get it dirt cheap, I'll give it a go, but otherwise, I will pass.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Besson 1020 Cornet. I purchased mine new a couple years ago, as this model was being phased out. As a student cornet, I think it's a pretty nice instrument. But there are, of course, much better horns out there.

Here's a nice review, comparing the Besson to Yamaha and Jupiter, that helped me around the time I made my purchase: http://www.4barsrest.com/reviews/products/inst020.asp#.XRFaQIhKg2w

A used Besson 1020 in good condition is probably worth $100-$200. But for me, there are some red flags with the one you're looking at. The lead pipe is bent. The bell is damaged. In addition, it's being sold by someone who disavows any knowledge of the instrument, meaning there may be other problems.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: