• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rim Diameter vs. Rim Profile

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree with the original question and comments. I think the rim design is extremely influential in the way a mouthpiece plays and feels. I'm less interested in measurements or specifications; much more interested in how the mouthpiece plays for me. I haven't found that the measurements and specifications are going to tell me that. Sure, the measurements might indicate whether I have a 1C or a 7C. However, the way it plays and interacts with my particular physiology and embouchure, and whether I will be able to play it successfully is in the actual use, and the rim contour and design are hugely a factor for me.

I have found that rim contour, and especially the "sharpness" or "bite" aspect of the rim seem to make more difference to me than all the other aspects of a mouthpiece.

I like a mouthpiece that provides some assistance with accurate, reliable, sure attacks and articulation - for me, this is very much affected by the sharpness of the rim. At the same time, I want the mouthpiece to allow for good flexibility and allow enough of the lip to vibrate freely to produce a good volume of clear tone with the least amount of effort.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a lesson in taking up more time to learn than is necessary. Hoping to save some readers a little time and frustration.

This became apparent to me when, on a lark, I grabbed the mouthpiece which was supplied with a newly acquired horn. I played it and immediately felt that it was "larger" than my present mouthpiece. I checked with the respective manufacturers and was surprised to discover that the manufacturer-supplied dimensions were exactly the same. So much for that!

So, the lesson learned: use the manufacturer supplied info for a relative guideline but play what feels the best, not what you think it may be.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manufacturers were smart not to use a physical measurement that corresponds to the diameter of the mouthpiece. What does 1C mean? What does a size 11 shoe mean? These numbers give you an idea of the diameter of the mouthpiece, not the exact measurement. Bach mouthpieces probably have more rim designs than any other manufacturer. They aren't designated as such, but each rim has it's own shape. It doesn't matter if they are in the same family (5C and 5B for example). They might be completely different. The general diameter you can know beforehand, but not whether the rim is compatible. You need to try them out, or not. Sticking with what you already have is often the best solution.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent quite a while finding a mouthpiece that felt right, and was relieved when Jet-Tone let me use the same piece with the A B C and D rims, to give a fairly apples to apples comparison. The problem with that is that no two companies share anything like the same names or numbers for rims, so that learning one system will be useless if you switch to another maker. The Schilke 4 rim is not something you can ask for if you're going to Warburton or Giardinelli. Joe Marcinkiewicz and spent months getting the specs down on my personal piece, and getting another made would mean taking the one I have to Oregon or sending it up and being without for a long time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: