• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Eb trumpet (B&S)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Eb trumpet (B&S) Reply with quote

Recently picked up a B&S Eb/D trumpet, which I am very pleased with. Right now I use the same mouthpiece for both Bb and C which is a bach 1 1/2c w/26 throat. When I insert the mpc into the receive there is a noticeable 'gap' between the insert marks made by my Bb and C tpts compared to the Eb.I don't believe that this is prohibiting me from playing on my horn. I would like to know if there are others who have found themselves in a similar situation, if so, what have you done? As I get dialed in, I may pursue using a shorter shank, bob reeves short shank tpt mpcs or the sleeve system (not sure if that solves anything in this particular situation). Open to hearing what others have to say. I realize there are tons of possibilities to this!
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure that the insertion depth is important. The gap between the end of them mouthpiece and the leadpipe is however.

I do know that my Monette C mouthpiece is shorter than my Bb, but my usual Bb and C have different lengths.

It will be interesting to see what the experts, and I am not one, say about this.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's really important to distinguish between the external insertion mark differences, and the internal gap between the end of the mouthpiece and the beginning of the leadpipe. I don't have knowledge of the gap expectations for Eb horns but I'd be surprised if it's not as important as it is for the Bb and C horns.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attended the NAMM Show earlier this year and tried the B&S Eb trumpet similar to mine. I found that the insertion marking on the shank of my mouthpiece made from my Bb horn lined up with this Eb horn. However, I was unable to compare both my B&S Eb with the one at the NAMM Show. I'm curious to know how big of a difference, if any, this would make in resistance. If anything else it's just an observation I've made.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure the gap. Put the information on a piece of paper and leave it on your desk.

Now go play the trumpet. Does it work fine? If so, transfer the paper to recycling. If not, start to look at the numbers and think of reducing increasing the gap to a more common distance.

You are the only person who can tell.

Cheers

Andy
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
Measure the gap.

Could explain how to go about it? Bob Reeves use to have a page dedicated to how to check the gap yourself, but their website has changed to a different layout and I believe they removed that page. Stomvi has a page that discusses the gap but there is no information on how to measure this yourself.

Thanks!
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the McGuyver method.

Measure how much mouthpiece goes into the receiver. Then put a pencil (end first) down to it meets the start of the lead pipe. Measure that distance. The difference is the gap.

A digital caliber can do this easier, if you know how to use it.

Cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: