• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High notes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_8450088

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: High notes Reply with quote

Range is important and one of the big things is a consistent lip position. I have headers this many times. Is that the case?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something you really should know about. There are lots of different opinions from many people; it usually depends on what worked for their particular case, and HOW they choose to describe the feelings and sensations of embouchure usage.

I suggest doing a google search for 'roy stevens embouchure analysis pdf' .
I think Stevens' basic explanations and techniques are a good starting point for most people.
The online pdf appears to be a pirated OCR scan, and it contains several obvious typos - but those are easily seen and understood by using common sense.

A big point that Stevens makes is that it IS possible to develop a decent 'high school' / 'college' level of playing even with an embouchure that causes a limitation of the high range at some point.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasted time, Jay. This is one of five "one-liners" to get posted in the Marketplace.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Wasted time, Jay. This is one of five "one-liners" to get posted in the Marketplace.

Yep, and done with 4.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=115475&s=Custom

Brad
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four posts in four minutes, at that.

Game the system, or the system games you - a famous game player.
Anthony Miller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not wasted. I learned about the 'roy stevens embouchure analysis pdf' and downloaded it - looks interesting, thanks!

kehaulani wrote:
deleted_user_8450088

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Jay Reply with quote

Thank you Jay I will look into that.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the OP wasted his time as well. Nobody around here buys from people who place five insincere posts on our website just to place items in the Marketplace. I remember when one of these types listed a Schilke E3L-4 for about $500 under its value. And it sat for a year and never sold.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Jay Reply with quote

eafloyd186 wrote:
Thank you Jay I will look into that.

🙄🙄

Brad
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who really cares? If we get another member it’s good! I really don’t have a problem with it unless someone is a cheat or thief, I’m sure that most new members posting a horn for sale are just trying to actually sell a horn. I have seen very few fraud claims on the list.
Rod
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way the regular members police this list I don't think scammers really get much chance to succeed in their evil ways. We are a pretty tough bunch!
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veery715 wrote:
We are a pretty tough bunch!

That's one way of putting it.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And at times a fairly silly bunch! And I have yet to read a mail that is a consensus belief. I still think the trumpeting world would appreciate a more scientific approach.i don’t know if anyone else feels this way but I would pay at least 25$ yearly for some more fact based studies regarding trumpet issues and universal questions. I have heard well respected and excellent players spout bull poop describing what they think they do or think they do - there is so little consensus regarding even common issues the only way to find what works for you is to try all the different methods and techniques and keep what works for you. I’m 66 and 6 years back at playing and don’t feel I have found the answers I need to have in order to get back to where I was once upon a time. I’d like to see the herald or ITG fund some research, there have to be some universal truths and methods but with everyone defending their method or belief as if their life depended on it I’m just not sure this will happen. And such large egos as I sometime see reflected in posts (small#) don’t help the objectivity needed to find universal truths. Wish we would get started on something like this. My rant for ‘19.

Rod
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
And at times a fairly silly bunch! And I have yet to read a mail that is a consensus belief. I still think the trumpeting world would appreciate a more scientific approach.i don’t know if anyone else feels this way but I would pay at least 25$ yearly for some more fact based studies regarding trumpet issues and universal questions. I have heard well respected and excellent players spout bull poop describing what they think they do or think they do - there is so little consensus regarding even common issues the only way to find what works for you is to try all the different methods and techniques and keep what works for you. I’m 66 and 6 years back at playing and don’t feel I have found the answers I need to have in order to get back to where I was once upon a time. I’d like to see the herald or ITG fund some research, there have to be some universal truths and methods but with everyone defending their method or belief as if their life depended on it I’m just not sure this will happen. And such large egos as I sometime see reflected in posts (small#) don’t help the objectivity needed to find universal truths. Wish we would get started on something like this. My rant for ‘19.

Rod

This is a really good idea, Rod. I think you should begin a fresh thread pushing this idea. I would add my $25 to the project.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
Who really cares? If we get another member it’s good! I really don’t have a problem with it unless someone is a cheat or thief, I’m sure that most new members posting a horn for sale are just trying to actually sell a horn. I have seen very few fraud claims on the list.
Rod

I care. And it has absolutely nothing to do with being unwelcoming to new members, I always try to be helpful and friendly to new members who post here with genuine questions or comments. I don’t necessarily suspect someone who throws up five meaningless posts in order to then sell something here of being dishonest, but I would not like to see this place become another Craigslist.
We’re all entitled to our opinions, you’re fine with a person putting up five posts just to access the marketplace, ok. I’m not.

Brad
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
I have heard well respected and excellent players spout bull poop describing what they think they do or think they do - there is so little consensus regarding even common issues the only way to find what works for you is to try all the different methods and techniques and keep what works for you.
Rod

I fear this is the bottom line truth. The question is whether or not I'll live long enough to try all the methods...
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifty wrote:

I fear this is the bottom line truth. The question is whether or not I'll live long enough to try all the methods... :o

---------------------------------------------
It seems to me that all of the 'methods' have their own 'path' to playing high range.
With the 'end goal' ability being relatively simple -
1) The lips must have the proper tension to vibrate at the desired pitch.
2) The player must be able to force the lips to vibrate. And that demands that (a) the lips are not prevented from vibrating by mouthpiece or muscle pressure, and (b) the player can produce air flow thru the lips to cause lip vibration movement.

Simple to say and understand - not so easy to actually do.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: