• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Low Register Issues

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thehedge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
27 Groups of Exercises by Earl D. Irons.

Great book. Practiced methodically and according to instructions, it will help you develop embouchure control and efficiency, improve playable range (up and down) and improve air efficiency.

Use a metronome with it.

I recently picked up this book and do enjoy the exercises. For those more familiar with it, I do have one question about the instructions. Specifically, the line that reads "The student should not go beyond page five until he can play these exercises as written in one breath at a very slow tempo."

On page 5, there are four groups of exercises, each with multiple repeat sections. Is the goal to play each repeat section repeatedly in one breath and if so how many repeats? Or do the instructions imply playing through one entire group in one breath without any repeats?

I'm sure it doesn't mean play the entire page (with multiple repeats) in one breath.

Thanks
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robcs wrote:

When I bought the Bach I asked them to switch the MP to a 3C (after all, I’m an experienced player. You’re not going to get me on a 7C). My tone was, at best, thin and hollow, even in the mid range.

[...]

So I picked up a 7C and had an immediate shift. I’ve been taking lessons, and my teacher said I was finally starting to sound like a trumpet player (not a cornet player trying to play trumpet).

That's interesting, because it often seems that all I read on these forums is that nothing short of a 3C will ever be any good, and the 7C is only fit for 8-year-old beginners. (No offense to 8-year-old beginners; I was one, once).

I've been using a 7C since I picked up the horn, back in January. And although it's been a long, hard slog with lots of practice (interspersed with a great deal of swearing), the 7C seems to work pretty well for me.

Occasionally, I toy with the idea of giving the 3C a try, but the idea of dropping fifty bucks on something that might make my low register playing less reliable holds me back.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill_Bumps wrote:
That's interesting, because it often seems that all I read on these forums is that nothing short of a 3C will ever be any good, and the 7C is only fit for 8-year-old beginners. (No offense to 8-year-old beginners; I was one, once).

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: