• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

DIY hand guard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: DIY hand guard Reply with quote

Doing a DIY project of making my own hand guard for the bell of my Ganter tpt. For those who own either a hand guard or bell cover what is the material that's making contact with the instrument (not the material making contact with your hand)? I can't find a google image of the part that makes contact with the instrument. Went to the local music store and saw a cheap hand guard made of plastic (didn't even bother) and another but I could not make out the material. Kind of looked like felt material.
Hi12547

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be a little late on this one but I think that any soft/fuzzy material would be fine as long as it doesn't have the potential to scratch the horn. Looking at mine, it seems that the material is closer to a velvet than felt.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information! I just used the leather as is and cut it down to the appropriate size and use velcro to hold it together.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leather will do it.

Make a paper template first, get some leather-working tools and make it in leather.

Best,
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
freimers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Hand Guard - Golf Glove Reply with quote

I've used the Bach valve guards, etc., which do not protect the 3rd valve ring or anything else as we all know. I think they're mostly useless.

I started wearing golf gloves which not only protect everything but feel good. The trumpet doesn't slip around as much when pushing out the 1st and 3rd slides. They also protect every horn you use without needing a separate guard for each horn.
Getzen 4-Valve Flugelhorn
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
Leather will do it.

Make a paper template first, get some leather-working tools and make it in leather.

Best,
Mike

I did. Made a paper template and figured out all the measurements and cut out the piece I needed from leather I bought from Michael's. I did not bother to include (sew) a different material to the back side of the leather (the part actually making contact with the metal). I'm satisfied.
NotQuiteFamous

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be warned, depending on the type of tanning process some leathers have the propensity to tarnish silver. For what it is worth, I simply hold my horns with a cotton rag of some kind when I know I will sweat a lot or for extended practice sessions.

And remember WATER is what makes all this happen. I have found that prolonged use of a valve guard will in fact trap moisture under it, causing the very thing I was trying to alleviate... I now use a small collection of cotton rags and wash them every week or so after using them a day or two. They soak up sweat/oils/salts rather than just collect them on the surface like a valve guard. And they are much easier to clean.

I know it's late. Hope you find something that works.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NotQuiteFamous wrote:
Be warned, depending on the type of tanning process some leathers have the propensity to tarnish silver. For what it is worth, I simply hold my horns with a cotton rag of some kind when I know I will sweat a lot or for extended practice sessions.

And remember WATER is what makes all this happen. I have found that prolonged use of a valve guard will in fact trap moisture under it, causing the very thing I was trying to alleviate... I now use a small collection of cotton rags and wash them every week or so after using them a day or two. They soak up sweat/oils/salts rather than just collect them on the surface like a valve guard. And they are much easier to clean.

I know it's late. Hope you find something that works.

I hear you. Already have that in mind. Thanks for sharing this piece of information. Many people, especially young musicians don't realize that the valve guards actual collect the moister and sweat from their hands and cause damage to the valves which were suppose to be protected by the guard. Funny how that works.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOT a fan of hand guards. In my experience, personally and with many students, not only do they slighty dampen tone, take the feel of the trumpet out of your hand, but also cause more damage than not using one. They trap moisture and debris, are not removed and cleaned often enoug, breaking down the lacquer or staining the silver.
How about just wiping down the instrument with an apporpriate cloth before putting it away, or a most wearing a glove - golf gloves are ideal.
Or the Satchmo thing of having a handkerchief in your left hand....

A quick wipe with a micro-fiber cloth does wonders. - Ultra Pure Oils sell a good cloth, as do other companies.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: