• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Superstar Flugel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Olds Superstar Flugel Reply with quote

From what I understand, these are clones of schilke flugels. Are they solid flugels? Just wondered.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64374&item=3774603672&rd=1
Getzen Severinsen
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
isler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I had a olds fuper star flugel a few years ago and it played very bad. It was a new old stock horn also so it was new. It had a very nice silver plate jog and nice engraving.
_Happy Canuck
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also this one on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64374&item=3775142226&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

And if you've ever read Jim Donaldson's Schilke Loyalist on the Schilke Flug http://www.dallasmusic.org/schilke/Miscellaneous.html#Schilke%20flugelhorn I doubt if you'd want one ... and by the way the Schilke doesn't look at all like the Silver Star.

Here is the Flug page from the 1977 Olds catalog with the V12 and the L12. The L-12 plays very well, never tried the Super Star.

Olds Mendez, Recording, Super, Special & Ambassador trumpets/GR Butcher 65.6M
Olds Opera, Ambassador Shepherds Crook cornets/Sparx 4B
Olds L-12 Flug/GR Butcher 65.6FL
Schilke MII trumpet/GR Butcher 65.6M
SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that one as well. I just wondered if it would be worth the investment but I guess that wouldn't be the case. Thanks for the information.
Getzen Severinsen
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Olds Super Star Flugel Reply with quote

This is an interesting thread. I own a 1975 Olds SuperStar flugel bought off Ebay about a year ago. No, it does not look just like the Schilke. Somewhat, but they are easy to tell apart. Mine came without a leadpipe, and I had it de-dented and padded by Rich Ita, who also sold me a Pilzuk leadpipe for it and a (my choice) Bach 5AFL mouthpiece.

With the new leadpipe, the intonation is good and the flugel plays pretty well despite valves that are noisy and probably need to be replated eventually. It has a very mellow sound that I like and plays pretty easily into the upper register, but I do not have much experience with flugels, as my only other one is a Cousenon clone from Belgium with intonation problems. I would like to have a bit more core without losing the mellowness, but I think that could be a mouthpiec thing and I'm looking for something smaller (post BE conversion, you know).

When I got the Super Star, I found out that Mic Gillette, of Tower of Power fame, has one and I wrote him. Mic has had his Olds for about 30 years or more (it's been his only flugel) and he feels it is the sweetest, best flugel he's ever played. So go figure! You can see Mic's instrument on his website, I believe.

As far as the price, I would not pay $700 for one, just because their reputation is not that great, and the market value is not that high. For $700 or a little more, you could get a typical Yamaha which would be instantly saleable and wouldn't lose any value. If you didn't like the Olds, you would have trouble getting $700 out of it. If you got to play one, you might feel it was worth $700, I don't know.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isler wrote:
Hello,
I had a olds fuper star flugel a few years ago and it played very bad. It was a new old stock horn also so it was new. It had a very nice silver plate jog and nice engraving.

fuper star?
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: