• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High note endurance question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GarrettGorbyDCI

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: High note endurance question Reply with quote

Hello all, I am currently involved with a pep band and I need to be able to play loud and around an E/F above high c, consistently. I have been given the advice of using the Charlie Porter three octave drill and I have seen great improvements from it. My biggest improvement it squeaking out a G and finally having that consistent E I need.

Here's the situation...

To practice for pep band situations I'll play as loud as I can while keeping my best sound, and as high as I can to the charts we play (often taking things up.) I feel like crap afterward. The next day I'm fine chop wise, but will this improve anything? or should I be approaching high note endurance differently? I also do the same stuff after my practice sessions every other day to Arturo's Trumpet Evolution book.
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, NEVER play as loud as you can.Always have something in reserve. Practice what you have to play at a musical volume. Think of playing with a full,centered and projecting sound,not a loud blasting one.Blasting is not only unmusical,it also spreads your sound and doesn't project as well,so it won't sound as loud out front. While practicing,rest as long as you play,give your muscles a chance to rebuild.

Good luck
Al
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll echo that if you really mean you’re playing “as loud as” you can....stop doing that. It sounds as if you’re probably a student, and it’s great that you’re trying to be a solid player, but overblowing is a great way to injure your chops, even permanently.

A focused, resonant sound WITH GOOD INTONATION is what you should try for. If you’re taking private lessons, discuss this with your teacher, if you’re not taking private lessons....take private lessons. Seriously.

Brad
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you routinely play until you feel like crap it's just as likely that you won't improve or that you will eventually hit a wall.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interesting characteristic of the person able to blow high E and F is that if he can at least squeak it? He'll eventually pound the Hell out if it. The same however is not true of notes above high G. Though since the O/P isn't worried about those even higher notes? This is not a concern.

But I am concerned about him abusing the heck out of his chops. Then expecting everything to work out okay the next day. Indeed he's working too hard. You've heard the suggestion,

"Work SMART not hard" right?.

Okay I propose a more logical strategy. Going on the assumption that he's using a standard mouthpiece (because he probably is) He ought to start experimenting immediately with a slightly shallower mouthpiece but one which otherwise duplicates the same rim contour as what he has now. And for those naysayers who occasionally freak out declaring,

"Using multiple mouthpieces will screw up your chops"??

The fact is that his existing strategy is actually potentially damaging to his embouchure. In fact he couldn't have a worse strategy than the one he's employing presently. Whereas if his new strategy takes advantage of the physical support the shallower mouthpiece gives him? He'll likely develop far quicker. That and blow better high notes than anything he'd been capable of before.

The kid who is able to practice and perform longer hours in his upper register is the cat who'll improve the fastest.

You sometimes hear or read of students asking if blowing on a larger mouthpiece will exercise their chops more. Thus improving his upper register? Okay MAYBE this is an okay exercise. However it isn't as efficient as the strategy of using a shallower mouthpiece. Again

"The trumpet player able to clock more "flight time" in the upper register will improve his ability to blow high notes more quickly. And this is true of any physical endeavor. Especially in athletics and even track and field.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No “freaking out” here, but I would never advise someone who is apparently a student, and about whom I have no solid information as to his level of development, to make mouthpiece changes; either larger/deeper or smaller/shallower. No offense towards anyone, especially the OP, but this is a person who says he “plays as loud as he can” during rehearsals. Sounds to me like he needs some in-person guidance from a qualified teacher, not equipment change advice from us here who can’t see or hear him.

To the OP: I hope you don’t take these comments to mean you should not ask your questions here, but even though there is plenty of good information here (as well as some that might not be occasionally), I believe you need a private teacher to help you with this.

(BTW, I’m in no way a “bigger is better” mouthpiece size advocate. I happen to use a fairly shallow, high alpha angle mouthpiece myself, but my playing these days is almost all commercial....and I’m not a developing student).

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: