• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Selmer piccolo and right mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Selmer piccolo and right mouthpiece Reply with quote

Hello guys, for many year's I was searching for the right mpc for my vintage 3 valve Selmer piccolo with no good results, before two years a friend gives me a old Selmer 4 special mpc , is a piece with wide flat rim and a shallow double cup and told me the this pieces it was coming with his old Selmer piccolo and yesterday I was practicing my piccolo I remembered the piece and I decide to try it , I found it and I start to play the aria from the queen of the night AND PADAAM the piece is exactly what the horn was needed, perfect match , the intonation was solid , the notes pops out easy and secure and the big flat rim support my lips on the high G's , everything was perfect.
Did you have a similar experience I mean to have a horn that matching perfect with the stock mpc .
Sorry for my bad English.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best mouthpiece for me on my 4-valve Selmer pic is a Callet SC-3s. Like your piece, it’s a shallow double cup with wide rim. Best pic player I personally know, Kenny Robinson from Maynard’s band, also plays 4-valve Selmer with an SC-3s. Not suggesting the Callet’s are original stock, of course. But they may be rather similar.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a stock Bob Reeves 43C with my Selmer pic. I use a Reeves 43C with cornet shank and piccolo trumpet backbore in my Schilke P5-4. I was and am always happy with these choices.
Joel Payne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I played a Selmer 4-valve (long ago), best results, for me, were with a Bach 7D. The Selmer sound was lovely, but even with the 7D, I just never could get its intonation to line up well with the strings, switched to a P5-4 about 30 yrs ago.

Also picked up a DEG 4-valve for when I do want a more Selmer-like sound. The DEG seems to work fairly well with almost any m'pc I've tried with it. For example, it has a nice resonant sound with a 1B, - though you'd work yourself to death trying to play that combination for very long!
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 4-valve Selmer (before I sold it), a Blackburn leadpipe and a Curry 3DE mouthpiece
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: