• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

My first piccolo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaszloTrumpet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: My first piccolo Reply with quote

Hi

I want to buy my first piccolo trumpet to start studying seriously. These years I used a horn from my school or a friend lent it to me.

I dont wanna pay a lot of money. I saw a secondhand Getzen eterna 940 or a new Carol Brass CPC-7775.

This to horn has more or less the same price. What do you recommend??

The Getzen only includes the trumpet lead pipes, not cornets lead pipes.
I dont know exactly the difference but I always used cornet mouthpieces for playing piccolo. I think that I prefer it.

Any other advice?
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Getzen Eterna pic is a really nice horn. I played one through college. I highly recommend it.

I have not played the CarolBrass pic so cannot comment on it.

Good luck!
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
The Getzen Eterna pic is a really nice horn. I played one through college. I highly recommend it.

I have not played the CarolBrass pic so cannot comment on it.

Good luck!

+1

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best choice is what you feel most comfortable with. You really should try them before committing.

Your two options are both a bit non-standard in tone, if we consider standard to be that which one gets from a Yamaha or Schilke (classic French sound). The Getzen will be a thinner sharper classic Getzen tone while the Carol will be an unusually rich, less sparkly tone - in both cases due to unique geometry relative to "the norm". Depending on your conception of the tonal spectrum you want from the horn, these differences will be significant.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current piccolo does not have any rings on the tuning slides. This is quite limiting because it means you need to play certain notes using the 4th valve, which may not be the easiest fingering option in some places. You need either a third valve slide ring or a first valve slide ring/trigger to get the most use from it.

If you are only going to play Baroque D trumpet parts on it this will be less of a problem, but it is worth considering.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't play a ton of picc but I've been at it a while and have tried a fair number of them. Note that I put a premium on playability (ease of transition, intonation), particularly on a first picc.

A few of the earlier Getzen's short models I played I didn't find to be too friendly. A few later trials were much more pleasing. I don't know anyone using a cornet shank with the Getzen, not sure anyone makes a cornet mouth pipe for one, but depending on the mouthpiece you prefer a trumpet shank version may not be too hard to find.

If you strongly prefer a cornet shank then you may want to look out for a second-hand Kanstul. A new Dillon, ABC or Wessex might be an option. Opinions on these are often good to fair, but my first-hand experience is limited to a short play on a Wessex rotary.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have specific experience with those horns so can't be very helpful with feedback on their playing characteristics but I did want to add that you can always use a cornet adapter on a trumpet shank piccolo mouthpipe. There are some people who actually prefer that setup, I believe GR was advocating that approach at one point (that info is a few years old though). If memory serves, I believe they have a series of different cornet to trumpet adapters that have different tapers to adjust felt resistance.

Regardless, just wanted to offer the thought that even if you get a pic with a trumpet shank receiver, you still have the option to use a cornet mouthpiece that you're used to.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I communicated with Kanstul and was told that their picc was designed and is expected to work best with cornet pieces. I went ahead and bought the Kanstul made trumpet shank receives for both Bb and A. After some trial never found a trumpet piece that responded as well as the cornet pieces. As an amusing aside, a friend does great stull with my Kanstul picc using a stock Bach 3D trumpet mouthpiece.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: My first piccolo Reply with quote

LaszloTrumpet wrote:
Hi

I dont wanna pay a lot of money.

Any other advice?

I would strongly advise you wait, keep borrowing instruments and save money to get a better horn. Buy the VERY best you can, so you don’t end up buying a second, or third before you have something you are happy with.

Yes, I own a fair few piccolos. I have two go to axes, an o,d Scherzer and a Thein. There are times my DEG is a better fit, or I’ll use a G piccolo... but if it was desert island time, either one of my go to ones would be great.

I have played both Getzen and Carol Brass piccolos. Save the money is my advice.

Cheers

Andy
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends how much you play piccolo trumpet. I was thinking about changing instrument, but I realised there was nothing wrong with it. I just needed to play it more often. I also found I need to warm up on the big trumpet more than I used to before switching. I have a cheap Weril piccolo which people laugh at. It cost £400 but it does play OK for what I use it for. Its a Schilke knock off in every respect - bore size, tuning shank diameter and length, even the shape of the water keys. If I was replacing it I would look for a used Yamaha short model piccolo. Either the old custom or the current four valve one. They play much more easily than my current set up.

I don't know if this is any help, but I used to play a lot of piccolo trumpet years ago and I have played quite a few.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Getzen short bell is pretty good inA, but harder to play in Bb. Take that into account as well.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkarnes0661 wrote:
I don't have specific experience with those horns so can't be very helpful with feedback on their playing characteristics but I did want to add that you can always use a cornet adapter on a trumpet shank piccolo mouthpipe. There are some people who actually prefer that setup, I believe GR was advocating that approach at one point (that info is a few years old though). If memory serves, I believe they have a series of different cornet to trumpet adapters that have different tapers to adjust felt resistance.

I use this GR setup on my Yamaha trumpet shank picc. I tried out several setups and the GR blew away all the other ones.. no contest at all! I have Blackburn pipes and they make a special adapter for them, and they also have adapters for non-Blackburn trumpet pipes. I use a GR 63P-M cornet mouthpiece in the adapter.
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
!

+1,000

The perfect starter Piccolo, I play a 70s era one that I bought for $600

I may suck, but the Getzen doesn't.
lnmln
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello LaszloTrumpet

The CarolBrass piccolo is a solid instrument. I sold one of the older models for a friend of mine a couple of years ago. They only reason he sold the horn because it wasn't being used much. I have a youtube link of the demo video I did below so you can take a listen, it's short but gives you an idea of the sound.

One of my students picked one up a few months ago and the newer model (CPC-7775) plays even better than the previous one. They come up for reasonable prices used and are a viable option beyond being a starter piccolo.

The best and most important thing to do no matter what direction you take is to try the instrument first and draw your own conclusion.

Video demo
https://youtu.be/VzqI5v6nhqw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: