• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Systematic Approach to Daily Practice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auraix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Systematic Approach to Daily Practice Reply with quote

I haven't posted in a while since my one month break, but I'm back at it again, this time with the "Systematic Appraoch to Daily Practice" which comes in next week.

Is there any specific exercises or tips someone can offer so I don't over-exert myself again? I'd hate it if I had to take another break just because my chops starting aching more than normal again.
illegalbugler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Systematic Approach to Daily Practice Reply with quote

John Mohan usually replies to these questions by pointing out that Claude Gordon modified his approach over the years. Thus John usually suggests to spend two weeks on a lesson in SATDP and then move on to the next lesson.

From here: his post:
John Mohan wrote:
In reality, someone doing the entire SA book should spend at least two weeks on each Lesson, otherwise the practice time per day builds up too fast. So it is more like a two to three year approach.

Other advice that I've seen people post over the years here:

- Start on Lesson 2
- Follow Claude Gordon's text on resting, number of attempts, and so on
- Take lessons from one of the Claude Gordon students who post here

And probably the most important vis-a-vis not over-exerting yourself: Rest as much as you play.

Seriously: play an exercise, take the horn off your lips, sing the next part of the exercise, then play the next part of the exercise.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting a link to my previous answer to a similar question. I was planning on doing that as I read the OP's query, but now I don't have to!

And if I failed to mention it before, I'm glad you did now: Yes, Claude would start a new student on Lesson Two after making sure the student knew how to properly play at least the first set of Pedals (Pedal F down to Pedal Db) and how to properly play the Pedal C down to Pedal Gb range and let that range sound flat rather than sacrifice sound quality forcing it into tune improperly. At my first lesson Claude told me he only wrote Lesson One to help players learn to play the Pedal Notes on their own.

Cheers,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Student Nurse (I graduate in December!)
Trumpet Player and Teacher
Personal Valet to a Malamute (people with Malamutes will understand)
https://i.postimg.cc/R0G2bFdQ/IMG-6788.jpg
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I just read the post you cited, and while it's not bad, there is a more recent post of mine that might also be helpful to the OP:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1570312#1570312
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: