• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Drum Kit for my rehearsal space

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Drum Kit for my rehearsal space Reply with quote

Hi, everyone.

I know this isn't really trumpet-related, but I thought some of you might have some insight for me. I live in an apartment with a smallish loft space that I use for rehearsals - there are no neighbors up there so we can make noise (within reason!). I would like to buy a compact drum kit so our drummer can partake. I do NOT want a rock kit. Basically, 18" bebop bass drum is the largest I'd go, and I have been looking into those 14" cafe kits and 16" compact kits as well.

I've been looking at kits like the Pearl Roadshow, the Odery Cafe Drum Kit, etc.

Do any of you have a recommendation on a small, relatively quiet drum kit that a jazz player wouldn't be unhappy with? Again, just need something small in my rehearsal space, I don't need something to take on a gig or anything.

Thanks!
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pearl, Pacific Drumworks, or just buy the pieces you need. Sweetwater Sound is having a drum sale right now.

https://www.sweetwater.com/

I bought my older son (a drummer among other instruments) a fairly inexpensive Alesis electronic kit a few years ago for his apartment and he really likes it. At least as far as electronic kits and not bothering the neighbors goes...
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland kits are great. And you can select different kits to suit the music and adjust the volume. The more expensive ones can equal a traditional kit for sound quality.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Drum Kit for my rehearsal space Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
I've been looking at kits like the Pearl Roadshow, the Odery Cafe Drum Kit, etc.

I almost bought a Pearl Roadshow kit a couple years back. Pretty inexpensive. All hardware included. Decent reputation.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my drummer friends told me not to buy the Pearl Roadshow... It's so attractive because it's everything you need in one purchase! But apparently it is really not good and much of it will need to be replaced/upgraded immediately.

I definitely do NOT want an electronic kit. I'd rather get a small kit and tell the drummer to use brushes / rods to control the volume so you can still get a decent sound for jazz.

At this time I'm leaning towards the Odery Cafe Kit or Ludwig Breakbeats - and I'll pick up some super-light cymbals, maybe used, and that's that.
THE BD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check out the Yamaha Hipgig, works perfectly for my group in some of our small space gigs!

Yeah, I did that!
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (an adult) found a partial (bass+2 toms) used PDP 'youth' drumset which is surprisingly good, compact, and easy to keep quiet. It's built around an 18" bass drum but it's not a kid-specific drum, just a low-end bebop bass drum. The "floor tom" is a 12" rack tom with too-short floor-tom legs; I put it on a snare stand to get it up to normal height. My

My "real" set is a gretsch catalina maple bebop kit which is also very good--and pretty--for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Drums-PDJR18KTCB-Junior-5-Piece/dp/B003H93IYG
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: