• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Selmer Radial vs Besson Meha C

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robcs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Selmer Radial vs Besson Meha C Reply with quote

I have an opportunity to buy either a Radial C (no number, so I'm assuming it's ML) or an L-bore Besson/Kanstul Meha C.

One of the choices is almost double the price of the other, so I'm curious. Who here has tried both, and which did you prefer and why?

I don't have a particular use in mind. I just like the idea of having a C to play on and I don't want to risk a Chinese TSO even though it would be cheaper.

I tend to prefer dark and smoky over bright and piercing. That said, I probably should get a horn that's more capable of bright playing to counterbalance my natural affinity for cornet and flugel

And before anyone suggests it, I'm not going to "save a little more and get a Bach." The cheapest Bachs I've seen are a lot more than what I want to pay for something that I may only ever play for my own amusement.

Thanks everyone!

Rob
Flgh: Jupiter 846RL
WX5 just because
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is, which of these two discontinued famous models sounds and works better for you?
robcs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but I don’t have an opportunity to play either of them before buying because of geography so I thought I’d tap into the collective wisdom of the community
WX5 just because
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They’re both good horns. In my opinion, the Kanstul-Besson is a more all-around horn that would fit well in chamber music or orchestral settings. The Selmer is lighter and “sweeter”.

What condition are the horns in? Kanstul stopped making Bessons around 2002, and although Kanstul is no longer around, getting parts for them would be easier than getting parts for a Selmer Radial.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With no particular application in mind, I would go with the Selmer. Both makers are defunct, so support will depend on luck when it comes to parts. I have not met a Selmer trumpet I didn't like.
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veery715 wrote:
I have not met a Selmer trumpet I didn't like.

Nor I a Besson.

It seems that the OP should go with the less expensive option, unless the lower price is indicative of the condition of the horn. The oldest Kanstul-Besson now would be 38 years old, while a Selmer Radial might be over 50 years.
robcs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to reply and sharing your knowledge, etc-etc, Liberty LIps, and veery715.

The Selmer is well-worn (lots of brass showing!), but mechanically sound and with only minor dents.

The Besson is in better condition finish-wise, with just a little pitting and no obvious dents - but then it's had 20 fewer years of bumping and rubbing

They're both great brands and indeed great models from a sound perspective, which is why it's been hard to decide. Which leaves price.

I'm unlikely to play it much in public (at least for now), and even if I did, I've seen players whose horns looked far more beaten up. And the Selmer isn't so bad that I'd be embarrassed to be seen with it - let's face it, with a good vintage instrument a few signs of age can make it all the more interesting.

So I think the Radial wins. I'll post a video when I get a chance
WX5 just because
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great. I hope your Selmer works out for you.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberty Lips wrote:
That's great. I hope your Selmer works out for you.

This Selmer C trumpet could be a nice find. People who play C trumpets tend to take care of them. Horns made by Selmer (Paris) are excellent - too bad they stopped making trumpets.
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Horns made by Selmer (Paris) are excellent - too bad they stopped making trumpets.

That's right. We've lost a lot.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I SOOOO wish I had that Selmer Sigma back!!!! What a glorious trumpet!!
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played both and own the Besson C and a couple of Radial Bbs.

The Besson is, if it's a good one, one of the very C trumpets you can buy in my opinion. If you ad ever spoken to Zig Kanstul about these, he was of the opinion they were his best C trumpet ever. I used mine professionally for over 20 years, and it is sitting waiting for use again. Last time I used it, about 6 years ago, there were a lot of positive comments made. Intonation-wise, they are terrific, MUCH better than most Bachs! When you on a one of these Cs are used as the example of good intonation in a group of Bach trumpets (because they are all playing so far out of tune) something is being said...

The radials are a brighter sound, and depending on the bore size, can be a lot of work to play. The one thing which comes to mind about radials is the comments others make - which has been along the lines of 'that is so channeling Bud'.

Sounds like you got the right one if you want a brighter instrument. the Besson however, is the superior horn.

cheers

Andy
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, is your Besson Meha a fixed leadpipe design or does it have interchangeable leadpipes?
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interchangeable, but one was the only leadpipe I wanted to use, so I had it fixed in place. The other two rattle around in the case...
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if the Besson Meha with fixed leadpipe is the same as the one with interchangeable leadpipes? Both are marked as Mehas.o
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've never seen a fixed leadpipe example marked Besson. I have seen one marked as a... (well, the maker denied all knowledge or possibility, but it WAS a kanstul made horn) and it was a corker of a trumpet as well.[/code]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: