• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stravinsky-Song of the Nightingale - Chicago Sym Orch - Rein

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Stravinsky-Song of the Nightingale - Chicago Sym Orch - Rein Reply with quote

Stravinsky-Song of the Nightingale - Chicago Sym Orch - Reiner (Herseth)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYceE1MxS8I

12:36 [after Reh. No. 68] - C trumpet

14:55 [after Reh. No. 76] - muted piccolo trumpet?

21:07 [after Reh. No. 96-97] - cornet?

Performance practice questions...

I’m guessing that it’s common for players in the U.S., particularly, to use C trumpet throughout, except for the passage at Reh. No. 76 (14:55), where I suppose many players opt for playing those few bars on piccolo. (I also listened to a Berlin Phil recording this morning, where it sounds like piccolo trumpet at that spot.) It definitely sounds different on the last excerpt…perhaps a deeper mouthpiece or maybe cornet? Impeccable playing. I’m guessing V. Cichowicz was playing 2nd on this recording? Does anyone know if Herseth used a cornet at the end?

Here’s a .pdf of the part that I just downloaded from IMSLP for reference…

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ra2u7l0ild07mp/Stravinsky-Chant_du_rossignol-Song%20of%20the%20Nightingale-Tpts%201%262.pdf?dl=0
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An aside - shades of the past. I grew up with that record. That was an era! Thanks for the memories.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is Rudy Nashan on 2nd Trumpet. Vince was 4th/Auxiliary trumpet in 1956 and is not likely on that recording. Back then, Bud never used any doubling on the 1st part.
The section in 1956 was Bud, Rudy, Bill Babcock, and Vince. Bud, Rudy, and Bill were all from the New England Conservatory and were there at the same time. Vince can be prominently heard on the 1st Eb trumpet part in the famous 1954 Ein Heldenleben recording. Ren Schilke was on 2nd Eb trumpet.
From very reliable sources, that all on C trumpet. No one has come close to Bud's playing on the "Song of the Fisherman" which is played twice and is in different keys. That is magical trumpet playing.
Herseth was offstage on the beginning and end solos and used his C trumpet.
The was a side door on the stage back then. That's where he was.
R. Tomasek
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
That is Rudy Nashan on 2nd Trumpet. Vince was 4th/Auxiliary trumpet in 1956 and is not likely on that recording. Back then, Bud never used any doubling on the 1st part.
The section in 1956 was Bud, Rudy, Bill Babcock, and Vince. Bud, Rudy, and Bill were all from the New England Conservatory and were there at the same time. Vince can be prominently heard on the 1st Eb trumpet part in the famous 1954 Ein Heldenleben recording. Ren Schilke was on 2nd Eb trumpet.
From very reliable sources, that all on C trumpet. No one has come close to Bud's playing on the "Song of the Fisherman" which is played twice and is in different keys. That is magical trumpet playing.
Herseth was offstage on the beginning and end solos and used his C trumpet.
The was a side door on the stage back then. That's where he was.
R. Tomasek

Amazing details! Thanks for sharing, friend!

In doing a specific search for "stravinsky song of the fisherman," I find this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrQMbYRREX4

...which is of Philip Smith (with NYP) Collection, so it's just an excerpt...the 1st of the two solos...also lovely playing.
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just astounding how good that orchestra was back then, IMHO decades in front of any other in terms of quality across the board. You could put it up against today's best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: