• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jupiter XO

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you plunk down cash on any horn it would be best to play test a few different brands and models and find the one that suits YOU. To me, valves are important. How long will they last? Are they the right speed for my fingers? How is the "travel", too long too short? Springs can be changed but you'll discover how they wear and problems they may develop will make a difference later on. How does it sound? Bring an experienced player with you so they can offer their opinion whether it sounds the way you think it does. Don't overlook the used market. I do believe in supporting good makers by buying new but if you're on a budget and can find a source nearby with multiple used horns to try then it only serves to inform your judgement. Case in point, I went and tried 3 Getzens, 2 Yamahas, 2 Schilkes (hint: great valves in all) and discovered that the one I thought I wanted was not the one I needed. I have owned an XO C trumpet with bronze bell, it sounded nice, played well, but did not blend with the section. The same can be said about many horns.
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
Nicobrown

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are absolutely right.
Honestly I need more time than a few hours in a shop to try an instrument. I need to use it in real , one or two weeks.
We don't have these big brass shops in Europe (at least in Paris and Barcelona, Where I live), as I could see in NYC for example.They don't give the horn to try for a period. The same thing about mouthpieces, impossible to try. You buy it , or nothing , it's a shame....
I could try the XO's, Yamaha's, and all the Bach that I already know pretty well.
I always feel in love with the open blow feel of the Bach 43, but they are too much expensive.
The XO and 8335 were , to me, very closed. 2000euros for the Yami and about 1500 for the XO that was a temporal offer. So I went for the XO but maybe it was not the best choice for me.
In my sensations , this horn is extremely tight with the square tuning slide, and extremely open with the rounded one.
It s why I asked opinions from 1602's players.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicobrown wrote:
In my sensations , this horn is extremely tight with the square tuning slide, and extremely open with the rounded one.

Unfortunately, MK Drawing does not appear to support Jupiter, but you could always call and ask. This sounds like a job for their SR series slide.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicobrown wrote:
I get up this post about XO trumpet because I have some doubts about it.
I felt immediately in love with this broad sound and I have been playing an XO 1602s for almost one year now. However , I couldn't find the right mouthpiece combination yet.
With the square tuning slide, it feels very tight , especially in the upper register. Too closed for me. With the rounded one, the trumpet is really really more open. Upper register free blowing but in general , maybe too much for me. I can't slotting cleanly etc ...
Ideally, I would like something between.
Any XO player around there to share experiences and advices ?
For now , I have tried the XO with a 5C , 3C and 1.5C.
I came from an old Bach 72* with a stock Bach 5C mouthpiece.

If you want to work with the square slide, you could see about a valve alignment. 1 year's worth of playing is enough to compress the felts that come with the horn. That could open up the blow. Also look into new spit valve corks.

If you'd like to firm up the slots on the rounded slide, try using the XOns that came with the horn. Just make sure you lube them up nice when you put them in, and be SURE you put them in the right way, or it will be a trip to the horn tech to get them out.

Bach pieces are way too open for me. You may want to experiment with tighter pieces as well.

XO is making incredible trumpets, particularly at the price point. I've tried LOTS of pro horns, custom jobs...none of them appeal to me more than my 1600I.

johnlakejazz.com
MrSarin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s like what Andy Del said, for my experience at least; I have played on a standard xo at a trumpet convention in California and compared to my persona Yamaha Xeno I own, the sound is very bright and to me actually a little tinny, there are lots of profound pros who play on them though, they just don’t work for everyone- but maybe you! Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: