• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to stay in tune

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkshayB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: How to stay in tune Reply with quote

I was just wondering if there was a certain way I can change how in tune I am just from my embouchure rather than with my tuning slides. I sit with a tuner every day and just play ascending notes. I found it hard to stay in tune higher I went up so I was just wondering if there was any way I could change my embouchure to stay in tune. For example, maybe I could do ______ with my embouchure to go more flat.

I would really appreciate it if you would help!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need to work an your fundamentals and then mild range-building exercises.

You also need to work on aural recognition. Do ear training, Use a downloadable drome and practice against it.

Make sure you're using good air support. Work on it if you don't have it.

Sounds to me a good teacher would come in handy.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A method like that of James Stamp, properly applied will get you navigating the registers with a consistent pitch center.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note bending and find the resonant center of each note.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good advice here.

I spent many years listening carefully while I played and basically thinking am I sharp? Am I flat?

In the early 90's I was playing a brass quintet church gig and I was "in the zone". The group intonation was locked in. I wondered what I was doing different. The answer was that I wasn't worrying about my intonation. I was singing my part in my brain while I was playing it.

For decades teachers had said "sing your part". Huh? It was an epiphany. I started teaching this in my middle school bands. Lots of actual singing and then playing. Work on audiation. It really made a difference.

Last edited by mike ansberry on Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
MrSarin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Richard III response, it’s not about playing with a tuner. It’s about one of two things. Solist playing find the most resonant area or with a group is about matching the group and find their common tuning tendacys.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread, with a lot of good replies.

I try to record parts of my practice sessions. I'll alternate playing for a few minutes, and then listening back to the recording. This has helped me to critique several aspects of my playing, including intonation. (As an aside, this approach also helps you "rest as much as you play". ) I use a Zoom H1N recorder, but I think a cell phone would work, too.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
bhornFree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: How to stay in tune Reply with quote

AkshayB wrote:
I found it hard to stay in tune higher I went up so I was just wondering if there was any way I could change my embouchure to stay in tune

Lots of good techniques to try posted above. The one thing no one has said is that if it's consistently sharper as you ascend, you are likely relying too heavily on your embouchure to get there and probably pinching or using too much pressure. While you do your choice of the exercises others have mentioned, try to focus on being as relaxed as possible in the lower/med range, letting your air do more of the work, and carrying that "setting" progressively higher.
Pauvog11

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of fundamental work. Build embochure strength and flexibility. Play long tones with a tuner, and figure out your tendencies.

You can change pitch with embochure manipulation, slide manipulation, tongue arch manipulation, and etc. Playing long tones, with drone pitches (maybe mixed with some mp buzzing) can help build ear training which will inform intonation adjustments.

I love the idea mentioned above of recording practice sessions.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it my be as simple as eat training, some real nice programs 2apps for that
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice articulation. Breath attacks and Poo attacks

Practice intervals. The Arban is great for that

Record yourself

Use your slides

Listen to great players

It will come
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ear training is a must. If you have access to a piano,play an interval ,then sing the interval. If you can't hear and sing the interval in tune,you can't play it in tune. I remember my first time in a recording studio ,I put on the headphones and recorded the first track,it was badly out of tune. I covered both ears with the headphones and couldn't hear myself. When I only covered one ear on the retake, it was now in tune.

What I'm saying is you have to hear the interval in tune to be able to play it in tune.

Hope this helps,

Al
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: How to stay in tune Reply with quote

AkshayB wrote:
I was just wondering if there was a certain way I can change how in tune I am just from my embouchure rather than with my tuning slides. I sit with a tuner every day and just play ascending notes. I found it hard to stay in tune higher I went up so I was just wondering if there was any way I could change my embouchure to stay in tune. For example, maybe I could do ______ with my embouchure to go more flat.

I would really appreciate it if you would help!

Get rid of your tuner and listen to Mr Innella. Chasing a tuner around can really screw you up. I know because i did it. the best thing to do is use your ears. For example, Play notes on your tuner app first and then try to match the note. DO NOT LOOK AT THE TUNER !!! Just match the pitch that your tuner is playing. Also there are Drones all over youtube, I like to use Cello Drones to play scales and intervals along with. You have to hear the note in your head before you can play it. Matt Anklans website has some sound files to play along with, based on the bill Adam routine, i use them as my first playing of the day to help me get set up.
But in response to your actual question, is there something you can do to go more flat, i would say to relax your emblouchure a bit and use enough air to firmly support the note. Tightness usually causes my playing to get a bit sharp as does not enough air to support the note. i usually ending up pinching when i get lazy.

good Luck,

tom
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: How to Stay in Tune Reply with quote

Lots of good advice. Training your ear to hear "in tune" is very critical. Hearing yourself and also hearing everyone around you is everything. The more I got opportunities to play in small groups the more I could practice playing in tune with a small group and also myself. Listen to recordings of great brass groups. Get some of the major symphony brass groups. They plays so well in tune that is kind of hurts the ear because of its purity. Do exercises that help build consistent air support and you won't waver. It's one of those things that as you learn playing in tune solo and in group better there will be lights coming on. Good Luck
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing beats playing unisons and duets with another player who has impeccable intonation.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Trubicar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had a problems with my pitch the day I started to think about it, becouse of my woodwind schoolmates talking constantly about intonation. And ended those problems when I stopped thinking about intonation and just trusting my inner voice. The brasschats interview with James Pandolfi could be very helpful for you.

When your sound is in a center (you find the resonance with your trumpet) you will be certainly in tune. And don’t forget that tuner is tamperarrely tuned not naturally. So throw it away😀
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: