• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Artisan 1HBC mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mvbach37

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Bach Artisan 1HBC mouthpiece Reply with quote

I bought an Artisan 1HBC trumpet mouthpiece but cannot find any information about the specs or what the difference is between the 1HC and the 1HBC. I do know that a 1HC is the modern 1-1/2 C but don't know anything about the B part on this mouthpiece. I can find nothing on the web about it either. It's too big for me to play and I cannot tell what the difference is between a standard Bach 1-1/2 C mouthpiece. Anyone have any info on this one? I loaned it to my band director so I don't have it in possession right now. I'm waiting to see what he thinks of it as he uses a general 1-1/2C Bach. There is a difference between an Artisan 3C and a standard 3C, the bite is better on the Artisan and my endurance goes up and better tone and I like it better than the standard 3C.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is confusing.

As you seem to know, when Selmer prints the sizes on the boxes, they abbreviate the half sizes with an H, so 1HC is really 1-1/2C.

There is a 1-1/2B in the Artisan lineup, or a 1HB as would be printed on the box.

But there are no "BC" designated cups listed on the Conn-Selmer website.

https://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/instruments/accessories/bach-mouthpieces/bach-artisan-series-mouthpiece

There is confusion afoot...

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Highmarques

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello mvbach37,

So was this an online order? If so this might be one of the newer designs that is not yet on the Bach/seller website.

As I too have been going through some mouthpiece purchases I did speak with someone who mentioned Bach would be releasing a select few BC models. They could be totally off but what I was lead to understand is this was an older C trumpet design that used a C rim on a B cup. He said it was designed for Chicago C trumpets.

After reading your post, you say it’s too big to play. If by that you mean cup volume you might actually have the B cup/C rim combo. If you find the rim too big to play then either try a 1.5HC (the standard 351 series as the cup is wider and has more inner bite) or maybe drop down a size

Good luck

(I myself am looking for something with the same rim feel and cup volume as a Bach block letter 5C but with a larger diameter, so I know how crazy finding the right mouthpiece can be)
mvbach37

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Bach 1hbc Reply with quote

I ordered the mouthpiece quite a while ago, maybe 9 months or so from Woodwind/Brasswind. I played on a 1.5C regular mouthpiece over 30 years ago in college and it was too big, couldn't get the high stuff well. I gave the 1hbc bach to my college band director about 3 weeks ago who I see about once or twice a year. He was my instructor about 35 years ago and he played a regular 1.5C so I thought I would try one. I haven't heard anything from him so far on it. After graduation I went to a Bach 5A, really liked it for about 25 years, and have since gotten an Artisan 3C about 9 months ago and prefer that much better now. I was looking for a much brighter tone and this Artisan 3C spoke to me. It has a different bite and my endurance has gone up and I have a good tone and can play it better on high stuff than the regular Bach 3C.

As I said, I can find nothing anywhere about this mouthpiece. It was well over a year ago that I saw this 1HBC on Woodwind/Brasswind so thought I would try it. From what I remember comparing the 1.5C and the 1HBC I didn't find a whole lot different from what I remember of playing on it.
Pauvog11

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C rim, B cup maybe?
mvbach37

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: 1hbc Reply with quote

Possibly. Won't know until I get the mouthpiece back for sure. Told him he could buy it from me if he wishes. Am curious about what he reports about the thing to me.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess?
It is likely copy of Herseth's mouthpiece.
22 throat, 24 backbore, B cup and his rim.
I would think it will definitely require a very strong, well-trained player seeking a true symphonic sound.
R. Tomasek
jmtrumpet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 1HBC might actually be the "product number" for the Bach Artisan 1 1/2B. Bach generally uses a similar code for their mouthpieces, which can often time be confusing as it doesn't always line up with the size the abbreviations might suggest.
mvbach37

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: 1hbc Reply with quote

If you order from the woodwind/brasswind it does list a 1hbc and the 1hc. WWBW is the only place that I saw the 1hbc so that is how I found out about it so was curious enough to order it. So, maybe it may very well be a 1-1/2B like was stated. I also thought it may have something to do with a special backbore but seems more logical that it may be a C rim with a B cup, though I'll never know until I get the mouthpiece back or have opportunity to see a 1hbc beside a 1hc in the Artisan series.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an Artisan 1-1/2B.

Quote:
Bach Artisan Trumpet Mouthpiece 1HBC
by Vincent Bach
4.0 out of 5 stars 1 customer review
Price: $81.00 & FREE Shipping
Thank you for being a Prime member. Get $80 off instantly: Pay $1.00 upon approval for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card.
Note: Not eligible for Amazon Prime.

Model:A4511HB2
Cup Size:1 1/2B
Cup Depth:Medium Deep
Cup Diameter:17.00

https://www.amazon.com/Bach-Artisan-Trumpet-Mouthpiece-1HBC/dp/B008BZFE70
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhat off-topic, but what is the difference between a Bach Artisan mouthpiece and a Bach standard mouthpiece of the same number? I looked through the Bach catalog and still am not sure. The Symphony series comes with clearly delineated different characteristics, but I cannot find the same for the Artisan ones, other than that they are modeled on earlier mouthpieces.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
mvbach37

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: 1hbc Reply with quote

That's all the info I could find on the Internet too.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, John.
My guess was incorrect.
R. Tomasek
mvbach37

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard from my college band director after having loaned the mouthpiece to him and his reply seems to confirm our suspicion of it being a 1-1/2C rim but a B cup with it having the same feel as the 1-1/2C but a darker sound.. A friend and I are going to Omaha in a couple weeks and Thompson Music said they have an Artisan 1-1/2C so will be able to directly compare the 1Hc and the 1HBC side by side and maybe we could try the standard 1-1/2C all side by side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: