• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Headache

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Great jazz improvisation is largely, if not mostly, a product of some version of "The Think System." You think it and you play it. In great jazz improvisation the transition is seamless.

I agree to a point. Both jazz improv and trumpet technique have the eventual goal that what is in your head comes out without analysis. To get to that point you have to develop habits. I personally never saw progress with improv until gaining more thoughtful ways to practice improv so it could become more automatic.

It’s a big fallacy to think playing jazz is just some spiritual mysterious thing. Every jazz great knows their scales and chords in every key and knows the changes and chord tones they are playing. Then you put it into practice by learning other improv solos by the greats. Playing licks in every key and other things make those ideas sink into your brain like a musical vocabulary.

In the recent video I posted of Arturo Sandoval’s clinic I hosted you can notice something very interesting and amazing. He is responding about people that say he just plays a bunch of notes. Then, he sings a bunch of fast 16ths in solfège proving he is aware of EVERY single note and it’s degree in the scale. That to me is way more impressive than the high notes and technical things he’s doing.

We seriously can develop to play double high c and pedal tones and play fast and do all the feats people think are hard. Trumpet playing is seriously not that hard if you know how to practice and have patience and a plan.

Link

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: