• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anybody play the new Yamaha Artists at ITG?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatDude
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Anybody play the new Yamaha Artists at ITG? Reply with quote

Would love to hear thoughts on the new generation Yamaha artists models that debuted at ITG.

Especially the Chicago Bb.

Thanks in advance
nextfamousbud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll be going on Friday, I’m actually in Miami Beach for a music festival so it’s pretty convenient that it’s just across the bay. The new Yammies are definitely at the top of my gear try-out list so I’ll be sure to post thoughts here!
Yamaha Chicago C (1st Gen)
Yamaha 9636 Eb/D
Schilke P7-4
Blackburn Custom C
ThatDude
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what did you think?
Adam West
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they say when these horns would be available for purchase?
ThatDude
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/winds/trumpets/bb_trumpets/ytr-9335chs_05/index.html

They’re posted on the Yamaha website. They can’t possibly be that far off.
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone notice how much more Bach-like they are? Look at the water key, pinky hook, bell and tuning slide bends, bracing, valve casing/caps. Wow.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water key definitely still looks like Yamaha and nothing like the traditional Bach one. All the other features such as the more squared up bell bow and tuning slide are features any trumpet brand could have, not just Bach. The pinky hook? I suppose it resembles the early elkhart one, but looking at it in person you'll see it has enough difference.
Good Ol' Boy ID#3624360
ThatDude
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="trumpet_cop"]The water key definitely still looks like Yamaha and nothing like the traditional Bach one. All the other features such as the more squared up bell bow and tuning slide are features any trumpet brand could have, not just Bach. The pinky hook? I suppose it resembles the early elkhart one, but looking at it in person you'll see it has enough difference.[/quote]

So you’ve seen these in person? Thoughts? Did you hear a release date?
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet_cop wrote:
The water key definitely still looks like Yamaha and nothing like the traditional Bach one. All the other features such as the more squared up bell bow and tuning slide are features any trumpet brand could have, not just Bach. The pinky hook? I suppose it resembles the early elkhart one, but looking at it in person you'll see it has enough difference.

If you look at the picture of the water key in the link above, you will see that it is obviously very similar to Bach and not like previous Yamaha water keys. Are you looking at the same horn? Sure, squared bends could be any brand, but Bach has them (with the other features) and Yamaha has been making their Chicago and NY lines more Bach like as they go along. Nothing wrong with it.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well to my understanding is the vintage horns they were analyzing and using as source of inspiration is the set of old Chicago Symphony Strads. The Bach C has been an industry standard for a long time. I think Yamaha tweaks it for a different feel and adjustments (I am avoiding using improves as everyone blow is different). I personally like the blow and sound of the Yamahas. I played a gen 1 Chicago C for about 8 years and now just switch to the NYII C because I feel the sound was richer. My Bb is also an artist model.
MahlerIsTheMAN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were lucky enough to have at our ITG booth the New York B-flat and C as well as the Chicago B-flat 3rd generations. I didn't get much time on them but from talking with others who currently play on the 2nd generations and were comparing those to the new versions, every single person agreed that these horns have improved. We did sell a couple but were able to already replace them with more inventory. Wayne Tanabe didn't go into detail on the changes but noted there were some changes made to the valves and bell section. If you're in the SW Florida area and want to check these horns out let me know.

Chris
www.cadencemusic.com
MrSarin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly no! However we will have some here at the Oklahoma Music Convention this next coming spring season, I’m super excited to test one! Only heard Great Things about them.
Mike20275

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Gen III Yamahas Reply with quote

I got to play them all and I think they are going to do well in the work place. My favorite was the Gen III NYS C with the YS bell. Great scale, great sound and they blow very even. The Chicago is a big improvement over the Gen II in my opinion.
ThatDude
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Gen III Yamahas Reply with quote

[quote="Mike20275"]I got to play them all and I think they are going to do well in the work place. My favorite was the Gen III NYS C with the YS bell. Great scale, great sound and they blow very even. The Chicago is a big improvement over the Gen II in my opinion.[/quote]

What did you think improved about the Chicago?
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hypothesize that when the Gen I Chicago and New York C hit the market years ago, the Chicago was a clear favorite. Not many sang long praise of the New York C (true to my opinion as the New York C did not feel good at all to me). I think the New York II to was such as improvement over the Gen I, that it is start to get some traction to the Chicago Cs.

From what I gather on the Yamaha, the NY III main change is the valve block. It seems alot of things stay the same such as the leadpipe - tuning slide and the bell.
Mike20275

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Gen III Yamahas Reply with quote

ThatDude wrote:
Mike20275 wrote:
I got to play them all and I think they are going to do well in the work place. My favorite was the Gen III NYS C with the YS bell. Great scale, great sound and they blow very even. The Chicago is a big improvement over the Gen II in my opinion.

What did you think improved about the Chicago?

Better intonation, more even blow and high register is more open.
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...wait...there's a Gen III now for these horns? I have an original 9335NY and Played it against a Gen II at Dillon Music last year. My friends and I all preferred my horn to the Gen II. I would be interested in playing the Gen III if that's the case with this post!
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
ertatta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried them at the Texas Bandmasters and honestly wan't impressed. NY C was really squirely and put notes/partials in very odd(to me) places. Chicago Bb was decent but I think I prefer the gen 2. There was a Shires AF Bb and the Bach 190s37 & 43 that were superior IMO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: