• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

King Liberty

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frank.wiencek@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: King Liberty Reply with quote

Is this a good horn?

What is a fair price?

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/msg/d/aurora-king-liberty-trumpet/6939669913.html
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some like these old Libertys but I am not one of them. The tuning slide bracing shows it to be older, maybe 1920's-30's? The diamond bracing came about around the 40's, I think. I am no expert.

This looks to be in reasonably good condition but there are no photos of the valves.

There are lots of these about on ebay and elsewhere which depresses the price. $100-150 or so, maybe, less if the valves need work.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way to know for certain if this particular example is good without actually playing it. That being said, King Liberty trumpets were quality instruments in their time. I have a King Silvertone of the same design as the horn in the photo (the Silvertone was a Liberty with a sterling silver bell). It plays great and its serial number is 154xxx, so it predates the horn in the photo.

As for value, I really have no idea. $250 maybe if it's in good mechanical/working condition. That's just a guess. I'll let others chime in on the value issue.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these form the early 1920s recently. I probably overplayed at $350, as there's silver wear on the main tuning slide and the bell gold wash is basically gone and the valves seem only "okay." But... it came with a cool mouthpiece, I really love the tone of it, and it was the chance to own a smaller bore vintage bore instrument, something I've never played on. They were some of the best instruments back in the day and at several hundred dollars you're not going to break the bank or really get ripped off. This is the instrument I keep at my parents to noodle around on.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the original Liberty (this design) over the Liberty #2 and Liberty 2B/3B designs that followed. A solid all-around for its time, though a bit sterile tonally by today's concepts. Still a decent section horn for community band, etc. Definitely a decent practice horn for alternate locations, etc. - if the valves are OK.

Curiously, the Liberty supposedly went out of production in 1933, and the line drawing of it was deleted from Whiteway News cover art after 1934, but the serial number on this one is 1937.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: