• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to find a teacher for beginner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuckdoc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: How to find a teacher for beginner Reply with quote

I live in a small town in Florida. After calling the two music stores, there is currently only one trumpet teacher. I have had 5 lessons from him but don’t feel we are the best fit. He actually said he hates teaching. He is a very good working musician though. So I would like to know how to you find a teacher who will use FaceTime or Skype. I know I can google it, but that doesn’t tell me anything about teaching abilities.

Thanks for any recommendations. I’m an old guy that just decided to learn trumpet. I love playing but want to improve with correct technique..
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: music teachers Reply with quote

Have you talked to a high school band director for recommendations for a teacher? Are there any colleges in your area that has music programs? How far are you willing to drive for lessons?

Have you placed this question on the other trumpet websites? Trumpetboards.com and Trumpetforum.com. There are many professional musicians on all these trumpet sites, who are excellent teachers.

I started lessons six years at 57 years old. My first and second teacher I found through a music stores. Excellent teachers, but I am not a traditional student.

Finally clicked with the third teacher, who was recommended by a member of trumpet herald. I am making progress and starting to have a clue.

Now if I could just stop buying trumpets.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find teachers who are willing to teach via Skype by searching online. But as you've already pointed out, you often don't know how good of a teacher they are or how good of a fit they will be for you. It is a trial and error process.

A good place to start might be Bruce Haag. He studied with Claude Gordon for many years, and teaches students of all ages and levels via Skype and in person. I took lessons from Bruce some years back when I wanted to get a better understanding of Claude Gordon's methodology. I'd highly recommend Bruce and his approach.

[Edit: You can reach Bruce at b.haag@cinci.rr.com or find out more about him and his approach at https://brucehaag.com/]

Good luck!
Chuckdoc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, contacted Bruce and waiting for a reply.
I’m very frustrated with my inability to play D above middle C. It seems to be required to move past lesson number 5 in the Mitchell book 1. I have been trying for two weeks. Playing long tones, slurs, pedal tones and anything else I can think of. I can hit it 3 or 4 times but then it’s gone.

Don’t want to give up, but don’t know how long it should take to hit C#,D and E effortlessly. Or even with great effort.

Can the majority of students play D above middle C after 5 or 6 lessons and I’m just a impaired learner? I’d love to get an answer! I have asked several times to my current teacher and he just changes the subject. This makes me feel worse.

Thanks for any help.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big state, which part are you talking about?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Chuckdoc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cape Coral
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I’m very frustrated with my inability to play D above middle C.

Don't be frustrated. It will take time to build range, endurance and control.

Think of trumpet playing the same way you might think of golf or running. It wouldn't be too surprising if an adult couldn't run 3 miles without walking after just 5-6 previous training runs, nor would it be surprising if a beginning golfer did't have good control of your driver after just a few times at the driving range.

If there is something mechanically wrong with your playing a good teacher will be able to sort that out pretty quickly. That's why it is so beneficial to get lessons as early in the learning process as possible.

Good luck!
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a point of reference, my beginning band usually doesn't reach the 4th line D for trumpet until mid-ways through the spring semester. That's not to say that it can't/won't come more easily or sooner for some, but that's about how things land in a full band setting. Some people can pick up a trumpet and play higher instantly and some take time to develop the embouchure. The important thing is to not get frustrated and give up. Good luck in your search for a teacher!

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Chuckdoc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, that was what I needed to hear. Will go back at it tomorrow
bear30101

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach at a local music store and rarely have "Brand New" beginners, but last August I had three: two on trumpet, one on trombone. As an experiment I used the approach demonstrated by Bill Bergren on the video link below. It's a short video with someone that never played previously. All three of my beginners were in sixth grade, at different schools, and immediately raced away from their contemporaries. All three exceeded the range you indicated within a few weeks.
All credit goes to Bill Bergren. He does online lessons! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y0uuFa59brVvSCcdo49YT6OeDOSeEq_q/view?ts=5b8c094d
Chuckdoc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have had one lesson from Bruce. This was over Skype and it was really great. He corrected quite a few things from how I hold the trumpet. Tongue positioning and location of lips on mouth piece. I am thrilled to say playing the D is now easy and frequently I can play the 4th space E. He didn’t tell me to but I was curious.

Only negative is the exercises he gave me are boring yet effective.

I hope he doesn’t read this! He is a great teacher with a wonderfully engaging personality.

Chuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: