• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adams Prologue, anyone?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walter Bone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: Adams Prologue, anyone? Reply with quote

Does someone owns or have tried the Adams Prologue trumpet?
I'm beginning to think about my first pro horn but I can't find a lot of opinions or reviews of this model.
Rompson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a chance last year to try nearly the entire Adams line and the Prologue was my second favorite! (Loved the A6).

I know the prologue uses a valve set that Adams buys instead of makes in house, and you can’t change any specifications like you can on the rest of the Adams line. Both of these things help keep the cost down. I thought that if the bell were lighter it would be a must buy (for me), but overall I thought it was an excellent instrument, especially considering the price.
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rompson wrote:
I got a chance last year to try nearly the entire Adams line and the Prologue was my second favorite! (Loved the A6).

I know the prologue uses a valve set that Adams buys instead of makes in house, and you can’t change any specifications like you can on the rest of the Adams line. Both of these things help keep the cost down. I thought that if the bell were lighter it would be a must buy (for me), but overall I thought it was an excellent instrument, especially considering the price.

They buy the valve block as raw components but do all the honing and fitting in-shop... they are superb horns (our ACB Collaborative is quite similar with a different leadpipe).

Adams also just introduced the new Sonic model trumpet you might want to consider:

https://www.austincustombrass.biz/brand-new-adams-sonic-model-professional-bb-trumpet-build-your-own/?_ga=2.14854518.1365318470.1565103194-1205211904.1563303502

You can reach us via email anytime if you have questions.

ACB

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played them quite a bit (disclaimer, used to work at ACB so played most Adams horns extensively )

Until the release of the A10, it was definitely my favorite Adams Bb. Made with the same approach as the other Adams trumpets, just with no options (as above mentioned) and a purchased valve block. FYI on that block they get it "raw" and hone it to their quality levels.

Very good horn, just not particularly flashy and the opposite of niche.
Rompson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

austincustombrass wrote:

They buy the valve block as raw components but do all the honing and fitting in-shop... they are superb horns (our ACB Collaborative is quite similar with a different leadpipe).

I didn't know this, thanks! I also didn't mean to imply that the valves on the Prologue were worse because they are different; I didn't know they were different at the time that I played the Prologue, and I didn't feel or see any signs that they were not an Adams "standard" valve set.
Walter Bone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems like it's a very good horn. Thanks for the infos.
I am a bit curious about the bore size... by trying a bunch of horns in the stores around me I had the impression, trying the Yamahas, that a large bore seems to sound better on me.
Now a large bore on a Yamaha is .462, and an Adams medium bore (like the Prologue) is .460. Seems pretty close... are they comparable?
Unfortunately I don't find stores with an Adams trumpets in stock, where I could try it, even if I extend the area quite a bit.
Old Bugle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I recently purchased an Adams Prologue trumpet on the basis of the comments in this thread, I thought it might be a good idea to add a few comments of my own now that I’m getting used to the horn. It is truly a remarkable instrument. I had been playing a Kanstul 991 (the “Kanstulation,”) which is an excellent horn, but it is a small-bore trumpet that plays like a large bore. I’m a 78-year-old retread player and the medium-large bore of the Adams seemed like a good fit for me. That, indeed, turned out to be the case. The bore of the Prologue provides resistance without feeling stuffy. It plays comfortably and without distortion in all registers and at all volumes. The valves and slides take a little breaking-in. The slides just need to be worked and kept greased. If you are patient with the valves and casings, and wash them out each time you get through playing for a week or two, they become really fast. This horn plays at least as good as many instruments costing twice what I paid for it, ($1270 including shipping and a modest import tax, from Thomann Music in Germany). The price may have gone up a little, but it is still a bargain.
Patrizio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, about the Prologue, is the sound mainly dark? Thank you!
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrizio wrote:
Hello, about the Prologue, is the sound mainly dark? Thank you!

No
Old Bugle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject: Adams Prologue tone quality Reply with quote

I wouldn't say the Prologue gets a particularly dark sound. I use a Legends "Big Daddy" mouthpiece and the tone is still clear. I think the tone is similar to a Schilke, though even that would depend on the model. The bandleader in one of the bands I play in says he can hear me, even on a third part in a rather imposing section, so the sound is definitely not too dark to be noticed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: