• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

clear plexi sound baffles for live mic setup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: clear plexi sound baffles for live mic setup Reply with quote

I've seen this 'sound reflectors' used, that wrap around or somehow mount on a mic stand for say some SM57's. I can't figure out the right name or search terms to try and find some for sale.

Would love any recommendations and/or direct links to where they can be purchased.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything like these?
NYCTPT78

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trumpet-microphone-reflector-shield-for-live-sound-monitoring-fits-most-mics/223457955689?hash=item340721cf69:g:5cgAAOSwO2hbqAjH
Thane #165, 72 style bronze bell
Schilke b6lb, b7lb, b4lb
Bach 180-37 Blackburn 20 pipe
Couesnon Monopole Flugelhorn
Bach Chicago C
Schilke E3L
Schilke P7-4
Scherzer 8111st
Monette Mouthpieces
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the one I've seen that got the most attention back in the day.
http://www.soundback.com/index.php
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all, I'll look at all of them.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One caveat - I've had at least two sound guys at live venues tell me that the ones that fit over a microphone do terrible things to the sound. I'm no expert, but it has something to do with blocking the ports that enable cardioid pattern mics to block sounds from the rear and sides - it turns your cardioid into an omni. Sound guys have told me they hate sound shields for this reason.

Just something to consider.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
One caveat - I've had at least two sound guys at live venues tell me that the ones that fit over a microphone do terrible things to the sound. I'm no expert, but it has something to do with blocking the ports that enable cardioid pattern mics to block sounds from the rear and sides - it turns your cardioid into an omni. Sound guys have told me they hate sound shields for this reason.

Just something to consider.

Actually, I am an expert in this (decades of experience as a live sound engineer), and you're right.

The baffle can make a directional microphone behave like an omnidirectional microphone if the microphone is placed in the middle of the hole in the baffle. This is a very bad idea, since the directional characteristics are critical for preventing "ringing", aka speaker feedback squealing.

If the microphone is not actually in the hole, then you still have to deal with the crazy things that happen to the frequency response when you put a microphone too close to a reflective surface (PZM mics are an exception). In fact, the owners manuals for SM57 and SM58 microphones specifically advise against it (although most people don't bother to read those things). As general rule of thumb, the nearest reflective surface to your microphone should be at least three times as far away as your trumpet bell is to your microphone.

I no longer do gigs, as a trumpet player or a sound engineer, where the volume levels are high enough that anyone would want to use a reflector. If you make your living in a very loud band, you do what you have to do; I understand that. But the sound of your trumpet in the mix will be seriously compromised. When it's too loud, something has to give, and a trumpet that sounds like a kazoo can be the best option if it allows the player to hear himself. In-ear monitors are a much better solution, but of course there are significant costs, in money and otherwise.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for this highly valuable information. I had no idea that was a potential problem. Glad to know of it before I made a purchase decision, thank you.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used one of the “Soundback” reflectors for a while. They definitely do help player feedback, but I felt as if using one was giving more control of my balance and projection to the sound guy than I was comfortable with.

If you have a skilled sound guy, great, but most of us have certainly run into those who are not. I worked with one guy in particular (who was also a guitar player) who obviously did not care for a bright, lead trumpet sound, so he would bury me in the mix. Very frustrating, especially since I had to work with the guy almost weekly.

Brad
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have here too this kind of buriers...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: