• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Can sleep apnea mouthguard affect playing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickael57280

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject: Can sleep apnea mouthguard affect playing? Reply with quote

Hi, I have a mouthguard for sleep apnea that I wear on night since 1 year and since then I started to develop weird things like air leak at corners, incapacity to start a note when no rhythmic context and sensation that my lips are spread out.

If anyone have had similar experience or have suggestion I appreciate.

Mickael
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
of course it may be : this device in your mouth, the contact with the material, the products that your inhalate... all this can affect your lips, tissues, muscles, and general capacity, not to talk about your apnea...
you should investigate with a doctor having knowledge in brass playing
good luck
best
Miketpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a mouth guard a few years ago for snoring and bailed after one night since it changed the alignment of my jaw. Didn’t want to take any chances!

Mike
mickael57280

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I'm fearing, especially because I want to make a living out of it.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider the impact apnea will have on your playing and overall health as well as how the mouthpiece may impact your trumpet playing. For all we know the jaw shift could end up helping in the long run. In the short run I would discuss it with your doctor and trumpet teacher who are better qualified to asses your situation than a bunch of internet blokes.

IMO - Don
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a CPAP with a nose pillow for years with no issues except for much better sleep and a much happier wife.
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a lifelong sufferer of TMJ mis-alignment, and recently started using a grind guard at night as well. While I can say that I have had some great personal success at dealing with my TMJ pain and tension, everyone's story with that is going to be different. My jaw is in a different place now than when I was learning to play in college, and there was definitely an adaptive period for my chops during that adjustment.

Since starting to wear a grind guard at night a couple years ago, I haven't experienced too much change in how my chops feel or respond. But I have started applying chapstick at night, especially in the winter, to keep them from drying out.

I would be interested to see/hear you warm up and talk about how you're dealing with this adjustment in your routine. I think it's extra important during this period to spend plenty of time focusing your response and ease of tone production. Forcing the issue is not going to make it better.

johnlakejazz.com
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
I've been using a CPAP with a nose pillow for years with no issues except for much better sleep and a much happier wife.

Yeah, just try using a different rig like Ed mentions... these just go under the nose and wouldn't mess with jaw alignment, etc.
bean_counter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your mouth guard prescribed by a doctor, or a do it yourself approach? If DIY you should definitely consult a physician and get a sleep study and CPAP if needed. If your doctor prescribed the mouth guard, you should follow up with your concerns.

I realize insurance companies are getting tough on CPAP prescriptions as so many have been purchased and then never used by patients that can’t get used to them. I have been a CPAP user for 25 years and I’m still on ‘probation’ with my insurance for my new machine for 6 weeks. They’re afraid I won’t use it
Eclipse cornet (Yellow, Bauerfeind) DW 4B Heritage
Cousnon clairon Bb
'60s Besson tenor horn DW 3
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started using a CPAP machine a few years ago, with no ill effects to my playing. I have a style that fits over the nose and gently forces air into your nostrils. It took about 20 minutes to get used to it, but I REALLY wanted and needed it to work. Here's something similar to my device:

https://www.apriadirect.com/cpap-kit-nasal-wisp-fabric-frame-res

I sleep much better (and so does my wife!), and don't have the midafternoon sag. A curious side effect is that I no longer suffer with heartburn or acid reflux. I kind of had it under control by changing some eating habits and using antacids, but would still have occasional incidents. I've only had one incident of acid reflux in about 3 years. Here's an article on apnea & reflux:

https://aasm.org/study-finds-that-cpap-therapy-reduces-acid-reflux-in-people-with-sleep-apnea/

You've got to figure that anything that improves the quality and amount of sleep has benefits to your life & trumpet playing. The long-term negative effects of sleep apnea are very scary.
Forte
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Can sleep apnea mouthguard affect playing? Reply with quote

mickael57280 wrote:
Hi, I have a mouthguard for sleep apnea that I wear on night since 1 year and since then I started to develop weird things like air leak at corners, incapacity to start a note when no rhythmic context and sensation that my lips are spread out.

If anyone have had similar experience or have suggestion I appreciate.

Mickael

It depends on how it works. Does it pull the lower jaw forward by pushing back on the upper jaw? This is how many of the sleep apnea appliances work. Over time, this can push the upper jaw back and further reduce tongue space and cause various problems.

Do you notice that you have more of an overbite than before?

Here's a video of an orthodontist talking about appliances that pull the lower jaw forward and how they can be detrimental over an extended period of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG2khF7AX94
mickael57280

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a mouthguard molded on my jaw by my dentist.

It's a resmed narval cc.
yassin3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have cold or mid-nasal congestion, nostril collapse or deviated septum due to allergies, nasal strips sleep apnea assistant may help in
drastically reducing loud snoring since nasal passageways open up. However, if your throat and soft tissues collapse during sleep, sleep apnea nose strips may not help that much.

A study was done by the American Journal of Rhinology on 50 applicants of which 30 had sleep apnea found that nasal strips sleep apnea assistants are ineffective in lessening sleep apnea.
Ancientram

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Sleep Apnea Reply with quote

I had a sleep study done at a local hospital back in 2011, maybe earlier. The morning after they established the pressure prescription for my machine, I woke from six hours sleep and felt like an entirely new man. I've used the machine every night since and it has improved my life about 100 percent. I think I'm using the same nose piece others have mentioned. There's been no negative effect on my chops.

Get rid of that thing that's messing with your mouth, get and use a CPAP. You'll be glad you did.

Steve
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:

Same here. For decades. Nose pillow, yes. One wife and one significant other not.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: