• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Steam Cleaning Horns ? Anyone Tried It ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:40 am    Post subject: Steam Cleaning Horns ? Anyone Tried It ? Reply with quote

I'm doing a home brew chem clean (CLR) to hopefully clean up some nice but cheap horns. Think garden variety Ambassador kind of grade. As I have a steam cleaner, I'm curious as to whether anyone has tried blasting steam through their horns ? It would seem to be the ideal for removing water soluble contaminants as distilled water is a far more potent solvent than tap water. Trapped steam can get really hot, far beyond the boiling point, so yes I will be careful. Has anyone given this a try ?
hartleymartin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main concern would be whether or not it would affect the finish, especially lacquered brass. Also, just watch out for steam under pressure going through pipes. It can come out as a stream and give you a nasty burn.

I have generally found that the hot bath with a little dish soap works well for cleaning. If you want to get further, use a trumpet snake with a little isopropyl alcohol to scrub out the tubes. I used to smoke pipes, and found that a pipe-cleaner dipped in cheap whiskey or vodka god everything cleaned out best.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT ?? You wasted whisky and/or vodka on a horn ? Mind you, if a guy put a few ounces in a horn and nobody noticed.....Have like a 4th valve with a flask in it ...

I hear you about the steam and yes it can blast flesh off a bone so of course one needs to be extra cautious. The Ideal Gas Law tells us that the boiling point of water is only 100 C (212F) at atmospheric pressure but goes up with pressure increases. Magma from a volcano is rock melted from subterranean, pressurized steam.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that’s overkill, plus could damage older horns (finish, maybe solder?). I guess you can try it since the horns are not valuable to you, personally I wouldn’t.

Brad
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of those hand-held steam cleaner things...decided once to see if it would clean a lead pipe with a bit (presumably years) of build-up, so let it boil up and shoved the nozzle in the receiver with the tuning slide out.

The ground-breaking result of this research was that it didn't do a thing. Maybe it softened it up a bit, or maybe it baked it on even more.

I now have a large ultrasonic and a few gallons of Tesch degreaser and cleaner which will keep me going for years. Very effective and made for the job.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that horns don't like the temperature needed to produce steam. There's bound to be better ways of cleaning the horn than risking the high temperature.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be concerned about the sudden increase in temperature and the difference in coefficients of expansion of the brass and the finish. Probably at the temperature of steam, no problem (since horns are subjected to much higher temperatures locally in manufacturing and repair processes), but I would not think that the sudden introduction of steam would be such a great idea to a system like a trumpet.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dishwasher? Works with my silver plated student horn. Obviously, sensitive parts like felts should not go in the DW. The corks were fine.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have cleaned silver plated horns for years with steam, just be careful as the horn will be VERY HOT while steam roll thru. It takes all oils and grease out of horn and will take stink out as well. I have been advised against using it on lacquer horns but it works fine on gold, raw brass and nickel as well. Cleanest way to sanitize a horn I’ve found but only for finishes that can tolerate it. Seriously I have a very hi dollar Eclipse and don’t hesitate to use the steam about 3 times a year.
Rod
tom pennell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the suggestion of not using steam on lacquer horns suggest that steam could be used as a stripping agent, either as an alternative or an aid, to taking horns back to raw brass?
Anything to minimise the use of harsh chemicals would be useful.
Regards
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have heard in that regard is that it can bubble lacquer, that warned me off but I have not confirmed this nor do I want to. Perhaps someone like Jim Becker can address this as I’m sure he would have a much better foundation than I do.
Rod
Tritone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will want to make sure to remove ALL the slides first -- otherwise, you may blast them off, with injury to the slides when they hit the floor or, worse, unexpected steam on yourself.

One of my students once blew some slides off with a hydro-washer device (one of those that's kind of like a baby pressure washer that you connect to a faucet) -- no steam to harm anyone, just water to mop up. And a story to tell his teacher.

Not sure whether the pressure drop along the horn would allow "gunk" to be blown off on the far downstream side of your steam jet -- or just baked on.

Interesting idea -- please let us know how it goes if your try it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: