• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stomvi mouthpiece (5 series)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevboy13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Stomvi mouthpiece (5 series) Reply with quote

I’ve been looking into stomvi mouthpieces for a while now and made up my mind about buying one but I don’t know if I should get the 5Vs series or 5J6 series. I want to be able to play lead stuff while also being able to maintain a good sound in the lower register.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Stomvi mouthpiece (5 series) Reply with quote

kevboy13 wrote:
I’ve been looking into stomvi mouthpieces for a while now and made up my mind about buying one but I don’t know if I should get the 5Vs series or 5J6 series. I want to be able to play lead stuff while also being able to maintain a good sound in the lower register.

What mouthpiece do you use now?

Stomvi makes really good mouthpieces but you should try them first to see what works best for you. Give them a call. The 5CVR-Vs would be a good all-around piece if you like that size.
kevboy13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Stomvi mouthpiece (5 series) Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
kevboy13 wrote:

What mouthpiece do you use now?

Stomvi makes really good mouthpieces but you should try them first to see what works best for you. Give them a call. The 5CVR-Vs would be a good all-around piece if you like that size.

I currently play on a Bach 5c
Type3B
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a Stomvi S13A CC for big-band lead (with a #2 coupler and a Stomvi S3 Big Bell trumpet). It's fabulous. Contact KO at Stomvi. He's been beyond helpful to me.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played a 3GVR with the VS backbore and currently use the 3FVR with the J6; also briefly played on an S14A VR with a J6 backbore. Both seem to work very well. The VS has a little more zing, but the J6 works well in all registers. If you're wanting to play lead the VS might be the way to go; if you want to do lead and some all-around, the J6 might work. But talk to K.O. first.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second to contacting K.O. at Stomvi USA. The best thing to do, which may not be possible, is to go there and try pieces. They make so many different kinds and the various sleeves make the choice even broader.

I agree that the J6 backbore is good - remarkably in tune in all registers.

I also had a 5 backbore on another Stomvi piece, it's a large orchestral-type backbore, and I found it difficult to control. But that's me, others may find it right up their alley.
https://yourbrass.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: